Burning Rubber Smell

SDiceman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good morning all...just purchased a 13 F-250 Platinum Diesel last month...I only have about 500 miles on it and I notice a smell after driving it that is similar to burning rubber......I've never owned a Diesel truck...i'm hoping this is just some kind of protective oil coating they spray on the drive train...
If it continues, i'll take it back to the dealer...

Thoughts...

JRJ04

Reaction score
Good morning...I also noticed this when I first got mine. I'm willing to bet your truck was in the middle of a regen where it heats up the exhaust really hot to burn off soot in the DPF (diesel particulate filter)...emissions stuff basically.

Do you smell it all the time or just occassionally? Mine almost smelled more like burning plastic than anything else. Eventually it will go away, but I would guess this is your issue, and if so...completely normal.

Good luck!

SDiceman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response...I'll give it some time ..... I'm hoping the MPG improves with time as well...getting about 14 MPG...drive to work is only 8 miles on side streets...

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Too many regens with in town driving. You'll need to get it out and run it. I saw better mileage after about 25K. What rear gear do you have?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You have hiway gears and you are driving side streets. Not a great match. Your mileage will go up as you accumulate more miles on the truck. Don't expect great mileage until you are over 20,000 miles.

Dave :)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks for your response...I'll give it some time ..... I'm hoping the MPG improves with time as well...getting about 14 MPG...drive to work is only 8 miles on side streets...

"on side streets" is your MPG issue..

A/Ox4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you allowing your truck time to warm up? 8 mile drives are not great for a diesel. You also wont get the best fuel economy when the engine is cold.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14