Help Needed Buying advice

Kirk*

Diesel Dummy
Reaction score
Like I said my intro thread, I'm looking at trucks, wanting a PS. Please give me your opinions on this truck.

2002 F250 Lariat 115k, non smoker, no wrecks, new leather seat covers, 305/70/16 Toyo tires, no gooseneck, auto w/ 3.73 gears, bully dog chip and straight exhaust, programmer (dont know brand), new sway bar bushings, drive belt, recent trans and rear end fluid change. Crewcab 4wd.

$16,000 obo

Seems a bit high to me.

1f81251413m63p23o88b5c2bc966bc65b1007.jpg

Going to look at it this weekend. Thoughts?

JRJ04

Reaction score
Agreed, the price is high. 10-12 sounds more reasonable. Thats a great year truck though. aside from the price, get an oasis report run on it and see what all has been repaired on it at a dealership.

I would also drive it and see how the transmission shifts. Thats getting up there in miles and you wanna be sure that tranny is nice and solid. Get it warmed up, and then let it rip and see how it goes. The transmission is unfortunantly one of the weaker areas on the 7.3 (its not a piece of crap by any means), but its worth looking into.

One other thing I would ask is if the guy is running any fuel additives (2 cycle motor oil namely) to keep the injectors lubricated since the ultra low sulphur diesel is out now. I just lost 3 injectors to that crap and I'd hate to see you have to go through what I just did.

Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions!:sweet

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

2-stroke oil has proven to be the most cost effective additive based on what many people here have found.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price seems a little high to me too. That truck here in Canada would go for around $16,000. Given todays exchange rates $12,000 sounds about right. Personally, I don't mind paying a little bit more for vechiles if they are mint and exactly what I'm loooking for. Cheers.

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
From the single photo shown and the information given this looks like a very good truck. See what you can do about lowering with the price. If your happy with it i say buy it. We all know the 7.3L has proven very reliable.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tough to sell even a great truck right now, only gonna get worse before it gets better. make sure its what you want and make sure you want to keep it for a couple years so you don't loose your shirt. Make a fair offer on the truck and enjoy!

Kirk*

Diesel Dummy
Reaction score
Agreed, the price is high. 10-12 sounds more reasonable. Thats a great year truck though. aside from the price, get an oasis report run on it and see what all has been repaired on it at a dealership.

I would also drive it and see how the transmission shifts. Thats getting up there in miles and you wanna be sure that tranny is nice and solid. Get it warmed up, and then let it rip and see how it goes. The transmission is unfortunantly one of the weaker areas on the 7.3 (its not a piece of crap by any means), but its worth looking into.

One other thing I would ask is if the guy is running any fuel additives (2 cycle motor oil namely) to keep the injectors lubricated since the ultra low sulphur diesel is out now. I just lost 3 injectors to that crap and I'd hate to see you have to go through what I just did.

Good luck and let us know if you have anymore questions!:sweet

Okay, so if he isn't running an additive, he should be, right? And since this is an older system, it wont damage any components? All it takes is one little bottle for an entire tank? Heck, that aint bad, compared to the price of replacing injectors.

The only thing scaring me about buying a diesel is the imminent return of super high fuel prices. Guess there is no way around that though.

Thanks for the info. Here are the only other pics I have right now. I will take more this weekend when I see it.

1f31221473n73od3l88b57d75cfb301891318.jpg

1f712c1483m03p93le8b5125981cbf11e1604.jpg

1f31421gd3kc3of3lb8b501bb04dc92a11c9e.jpg

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea he should be doing it, but a lot of people arent aware of it so you can't necessairly knock the guy. That truck looks like its in awesome shape. Make him an offer and go for it!

Diesel prices are unknown and you've gotta be willing to roll with the punches on that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14