california water

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
All you CA guys, Big Joe, Dave...
does ca have a desalinization plan to provide water for the state? I was wondering as the news doesnt say either way.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think Santa Barbara has or had one in operation. That is the only desalinization plant I know of. We are talking about adding several but so far that is all it is - talk. They are not cheap.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i thought i had read about one new san Francisco. but couldnt find any updates.
cheap...r/o systems or flash desalination is, or should be affordable. at the power plants that use steam or gas turbines they could use the waste heat to boil or flash the water. i need a few hundred million to do a start up hehehee
i am surprised at how bad it is out there

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Denver, Co

With De-salt plants... they cost more to build, operate and maintain, than is economically feasible.. to the consumer. The Techno ain't there. Soooo.. for now they are not a option.. unless the Feds can, or will, come up with some (FEMA type) money.. to bring the ones* that are shut down for the above.. back on line... or build any new ones.

JMO but, this Cali Drought thing is 80% Politics, 20% Weather. We've been here before. (Pre CNN, NBC, ABC and Fox News)

Joe

* I read some time back.. the de-salt plant near San Diego, that's shut down... would cost more to bring it back on line... than it cost to build it.. due to current EPA stuff.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are so right Joe, it IS politics and big $$$$. I have not heard of the San Diego De-salt plant, but again I am not surprised (Navy and politics).

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58