Can billet aluminum be bent?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Is there a way to bend billet aluminum with or without heat or will it just fracture? I need to bend a billet aluminum fairlead 45 degrees in the middle. I want to form it to fit on the bow of my boat. here is the failead The billet aluminum fairleads are designed specifically for winches running synthetic winch rope which is what I am going to run in my boat recovery winch. There are also some thermo-plastic ones that could be bent to fit but I would like to go with billet if possible. What about 6061 Aluminum? Viking makes some out of 6061. Anyone have a clue or know where I could find out?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ME TOO ! ( I think I know the answer but I've spent to much time at TDS ;). I'm Gun Shy...:roflmao )

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I can ask some metal dudes tommorow at work. I am personally thinking the answer is NO and YES but I aint no metal expert. YES you can bend, NO it wont be strong? I think I have had the aluminum bending conversation before, and the way the grains are in certain blends, forgings? makes them weak to side load. But then again you can bend a billet wheel on a pothole then repair it back to normal?

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
found this on google search:
Some of the more common aluminum alloys used by racing fabricators include 3003, 2024, 6061 and 7075. 3003 is a non-heat-treatable wrought-alloy, which has excellent workability and weldability and is used for low-strength applications including tanks, boxes and brackets. 2024 is a heat-treatable, high-strength alloy with limited formability and is not weldable. It is an excellent choice for chassis skins and spars and for flywheels. 7075 is heat-treatable and the strongest and stiffest of the commonly available aluminum alloys. Due to its strength, it is not readily formable and lends itself to be used for machined components and straight suspension pieces. 7075 also has poor welding characteristics.
6061 is the least expensive and most versatile of the heat-treatable alloys. It is a favorite alloy of many fabricators as it is a weldable alloy with moderate to high strength in tempered condition. It also has good formability in the annealed condition. It is the best choice for intake manifold and inter-cooler plumbing due to the weldability and formability of the alloy. 356 aluminum is an excellent weldable, heat-treatable casting alloy. It is used for a variety of applications including pump housings, transmission cases, cylinder blocks.

As previously mentioned, heat-treating improves the strength of aluminum alloys through a process known as "precipitation hardening." In simple terms, precipitation hardening is a process that occurs during the heating and cooling of an aluminum alloy in which minute particles or "precipitates" are formed in the aluminum matrix. These particles reduce slippage between "grains" which in turns increases material hardness and strength.

The chemistry involved varies with each particular alloy. However, in basic terms, when an aluminum alloy is heated for a certain amount of time above its "solution temperature," the alloying elements dissolve uniformly into the aluminum matrix. Following a quench (or rapid cooling), the alloying elements will slowly fall out of solution and combine with each other to form evenly distributed precipitates. This step, known as aging, occurs at room temperature, however, and alloy can be artificially aged at an elevated temperature in order to speed up the process.

Another method for increasing the strength of aluminum alloys is by work hardening. Work hardening occurs during forming processes including forging, stamping and tube bending. During these forming processes, the alloy undergoes plastic deformation and the metallic grains are broken and become smaller. The tighter grain structure prevents inter-granular slippage thereby increasing the strength of the alloy.

Annealing is a process that imparts the "softest" or most ductile condition to a heat-treatable aluminum alloy. For annealing, the alloy is heated to above its solution temperature and then slowly cooled to room temperature. During the cooling processes, the alloying elements fall out of solution and form large unevenly distributed crystals, which do not effectively prevent granular slippage. The result is a soft, low strength alloy condition. Burns Stainless anneals all aluminum tubing prior to bending.

The temper designation system is used to specify the condition, or temper, of a heat treatable alloy. The most common designations include O (sometimes erroneously referred to as TO), F, T4 and T6. O refers to soft or annealed condition and is the preferred temper for forming processes such as tube bending. F refers to the condition of the material following a forming process during which work hardening occurs, and is the official designation of tubing bends. T4 designates that the alloy was solution heat treated and naturally aged. T6 is sometimes referred to as fully "heat treated" and is the result of solution heat treating and artificial aging.

Burns Stainless carries only drawn seamless 6061 aluminum tubing for straight tubing and bends. The tubing specification is ASTM B-210 and/or Federal General Specification WW-T-700/6. This tubing is manufactured by cold drawing a true seamless extruded tube made from hollow extrusion ingot processed by die and mandrel extrusion process. Straight 6061 aluminum tubing available from Burns Stainless is sold in the T6 condition. It is important to note that welding will effect the temper of a tube since it locally heats up the metal. If the strength of a T6 temper is necessary for your welded assembly, it is important that the assembly be heat treated. It is also important to note that the aluminum bends are annealed and through the bending process achieve a certain level of work hardening. Again, if heat treated properties are required, the assembly must be heat treated

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
This is the reply I got over at the riverjet forums. I will let you know how it turns out.

You bet. Billet aluminum is nothing more then block aluminum of a certian series that has been machined. Most of your billet parts are 6000 series aluminum anyhow. You bend it by heat forming it with a cheap propane torch and a spray bottle full of water. You'll need to make a fixture that is the shape of the radius you want and use two c clamps. Put the piece you want bent under pressure and heat the inner side of the radius not more then 500F. Spray the inner radius with water and the piece will relax. Continue the the pressure heat and cool process until you get the bend you want. If done right it will not crack and won't harm the finish.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
yep the last process will work. 6061 is a great series for forming and welding. used to build fuel cells out of it all the time.
the key is TAKE your time and do not OVERHEAT the metal and MELT it

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
And there you have it................. nobody even had to say the wrong thing and look like an idjit.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64