Help Needed Can I run hubs in locked position

Buds007

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Simple question really, and for the most part it's just a matter of me being reassured that what i'm about to do isn't gonna grenade in my face. I live in utah, and we are just getting into some nasty weather. I have a 02, f-250 7.3, with the auto/locking hubs. I have read that it's okay to run these in the locked position so as to have on the fly 4x4 if i ever need it. As I understand, it will add a tad bit wear and tear to the driveline components up front, but nothing too extreme. Reason for this isn't just laziness. If I do end up needing to quickly have my front wheels pull me out of a situation I don't want to end up with a damaged rig all because I didn't have 4 wheel drive. Also the ramp to my complex at the current point in time is not heated, and 2 wheel drive up it isn't an option. When weather dries up, i'll switch back to auto just to be sure i guess Thoughts, opinions, and just all around details are more than welcome. Thanks for your time.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes you can run with the hubs locked. I do it all of the time. Your mileage will suffer a 1 or 2 mpg drop. Just don't run the transfer case in four wheel drive. This will hand grenade an axle.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Simple answer is yes it is fine to run them locked in. Mine are locked in from October until April. I only pull the transfer case in when I need it(several times a day;))

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
Out in MD we dont have the same kind of weather you guys north and west have but when there is the first bit of snow on the roads and we are expecting more, my hubs get locked. because like you said when you need it, you need it now and not 30 seconds from now...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58