Can pull start, but won't idle

blztr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have 2001 F350 4x4 4 door long box 6 speed manual with 218000 miles. The clutch shelled out right in the middle of moving 300 miles from our old home and 60 from our new. There was a mechanic in the little town where I broke down who installed a new clutch, all good. I had bought a injector super kit from Pensacola Diesel that I was planning on putting in in between moving, so I just had him put them in to save time. He called me and told me my motor was shot because they couldn't get it to start after they put in the injectors, glow plugs and wiring harness, they finally pulled it to start it. It ran horrible lots of white smoke and no power. It had a lot of white smoke with the old injectors and was pushing raw fuel out the tailpipe, but always started fine. He wanted to sell me a new motor @ $12,000 installed. I went and picked it up had to pull to start, it idled till it warmed up, then it wouldn't run under 1300 rpm. When you try starting with the starter there is no smoke or fuel smell at the tailpipe. In the meantime I found a nice 1999 350 4x4 supercab DRW that I love, but I would still like to get this one running good enough to sell.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You have air in the fuel lines. That is why it is hard to start and runs rough and smokes. It needs to be driven to get the air out of the lines. You will need some thing like 100 miles of driving to get the air out. DO NOT BUY A NEW MOTOR!! I am very sure others will chime in. Common problem.

Dave

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
sorry to hear your bad luck man sounds like that guy may have bit off more than he could chew....im sure somebody will know some info tohelp ya get her back running

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have air in the fuel lines. That is why it is hard to start and runs rough and smokes. It needs to be driven to get the air out of the lines. You will need some thing like 100 miles of driving to get the air out. DO NOT BUY A NEW MOTOR!! I am very sure others will chime in. Common problem.

Dave

+1. Drive it! :sweet

blztr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for input

Thanks for the encouraging input. I checked the HPOP reservoir and it was down maybe an inch and a half from the top, is that about normal? I am going to drive it tomorrow and see if I can get the air worked out. I'll let you know.
I see that I may have posted in the wrong place as it wasn't really an emergency. This forum is great I have found a lot of very good information on my 7.3's.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouraging input. I checked the HPOP reservoir and it was down maybe an inch and a half from the top, is that about normal? I am going to drive it tomorrow and see if I can get the air worked out. I'll let you know.
I see that I may have posted in the wrong place as it wasn't really an emergency. This forum is great I have found a lot of very good information on my 7.3's.

HPOP is low..
should be about half an inch below the plug

by now (a week later) should be running like a champ.

they do this because the fuel system is returnless (no where for the air introduced when the injectors are pulled to cycle out.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14