FYI Canine nosework training..

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
so last winter, primarily to help out a friend that was launching a dog training business, I started my bloodhound on scent work.

We finished up classes in November, and trials start next month.
"Old timers" will remember a thread a few years ago I posted here around Christmas.. "Name the Bloodhound"

I have been taking Bo to the local TSC every Sunday since I got him.

Well, this fall, our weekend day trips are more fun and interesting, as I have added the practice sessions to our adventures..

Generally, I place four or six hides in the store. Sometimes I have store staff hide them, so they are true blind hides. I just have them tell me what section they are in, and to watch and let me know "yes" or "no" when I call an alert.
Today, I placed eight hides. The one in the clip was #5

Today, everyone was busy, so I'd just walk him through a section, and place the hides under the shelving units as we walked, so he was fairly oblivious to the exact location.

I'm not sure exactly why he had difficulty with this hide.. he may have been getting bored, I may have used a weak swab, or it may have gotten lost in the multitude of feed smells in this aisle.. either way, we're going to concentrate on this section more, with fairly weak swabs until he comes along a little more..

https://youtu.be/ydsLb0qxTGE

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am amazed he could find anything in all of that food. My dog would have been eating all she could. Nice looking dog, John!

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with Dave, that's one good pup to find that in 500 bags of dog food. Keep up the training.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am amazed he could find anything in all of that food. My dog would have been eating all she could. Nice looking dog, John!

Dave

I am with Dave, that's one good pup to find that in 500 bags of dog food. Keep up the training.
Doug

x3 John.

That's absolutely Amazing. His focus on the
scent.. with all the others in that dog food area.. is almost unbelievable. But he found it.

GOOD Boy BO... GOOD Boy !!!!!!​

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58