CB antenna's

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
When antenna's are listed with 1/4 wave. double quarter wave and 5/8 wave what are they talking about? I got a new cobra 29 and it doesn't seem to work well with the factory am, fm, cb antenna thats on my work truck. It isn't tuneable so I can't get my swr's low. I'm leaning toward a wilson fgt-4. Is it a good choice? Not really looking for a high priced antenna.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wilson 1000 or 5000 antenna mounted on the roof is the way to go. Both are great antennas but the 5000 has higher power handling capability. Either is more than enough for a stock radio.

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah- I have a browning antenna (1/4 wave) for my basic Uniden CB. My antenna was "tuned" by the installer. The mounted it, trimmed a bit of antenna off, and made the SWR as good as it could get. Placement on antennas is key. Mine is directly on top of the cab. I have really good reception and transmit.

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A full wave antenna for CB would be in the neighborhood of 34 feet. A 102 inch steel whip is only a 1/4 wave length. The best way to figure the length of an antenna for a given frequency is the formula 468 divided by the frequency in megahertz or simply 468/frequency=Half wave length. By changing the root number to 234 you will get the 1/4 wave length.
Now some manufacturers will load their antennas either top, center or base. these will work but to a lesser degree. some better than others.
I don't claim to be an expert just an Extra class licensed Amateur radio operator 35 years.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, sorry guyz :dunno

I guess I been mis-informed all these years... :lmao:lmao

Hope I didn't mess anybody up.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey BigJOE, no worry, I'm buy'in the beer:sweet

No, No.. Good catch ;tu

Just now went back to some of my 'ol CB stuff.. 102" (a Whip) IS.. approx. 1/4 of a Full wave. Been awhile since I've messed with the Tech side of CB... shoulda dun my HomeWerks first'st.

I gota stop shoot'n from the hip.. on stuff. Be sure my Brain is fully engaged, before putting my Keyboard in motion... kinda thing.:lmao:lmao

Thanks for the re-alignment Pete ;tu;tu ;):)

Joe

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. A 34 ft antenna sure would slap alot of things on the road. From what was said and what I've read placement and tuning is the key. I bought a mirror mount, 4ft. firestik antenna and a 18 ft. chunk of coax that is recomended. Now just got to install and tune this weekend.

Davesz06

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
4FT Fire Stik

FYI, I mounted a 4' firestik on my front stake pocket hole on my bed with a stainless mount that fits in the hole. The ant. sticks up past the roof by a ft.
and works great with my Cobra29 mounted between my concole and the twin cup holder that come out of the dash. You should be using 16'of coax. Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64