CB radio & antenna mounting

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Heading out the door here in a few to pick up a CB for the truck. Was planning on mounting a 4' or 5' FireStik to the bedrails somewhere and then find a place for the base unit and an external speaker. Where has everyone else mounted their stuff? Thanks!!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
funny you should ask ..i did mine this weekend, it is attached to my driver side glove box.
i went with a CHEAP ant. until i figure out how much interference the fiver will cause.
I might put an ant on the fiver.
but so far the Radio shack black 36 " ant wrks well but is NOISY at road speed at 65 it SINGS enough to be disturbing -mad , its getting moved tonight

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I mounted the radio right below the coat hanger doo-hickie and the antennas are roof mounted:sweet
Here's a couple pics of them installed.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Got it all done. No pics though. Put the CB right under the little cubby hole on the dash. Mounted the antenna with an L bracket on the bed, right where the stake mounts are. I was getting ready to drill holes and all sorts of stuff to get the coax into the cab when my wife pointed out the rubber inserts in the cab and bed that lined up quite well and made it super easy to get the coax into the cab. Went pretty well. Got my brake controller installed today too.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
That is where I ran my coax...........just make sure you leave a loop in the wire so rain water doesn't travel down it and into the cab.

What are your SWR's???

Tbar

FoMoCo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I stuggled with this one for quite a while. Knowing the best location and bringing yourself to doing it are two different things. CB radios and Amateur radio equipment is two entirely different animals though. I run a Kenwood 742 on 2m, 1.25m and 70 cm with 60w, 30w, and 38w and an Icom V8000 with 80w forward power and my gain antenna it gives me and ERP of 103w, 68w, 107w and 137w. I drilled the center of the roof. It still hurts sometimes but its done. I temped in a pine type box to mount the two radios in, have changed the design a few times and am just about to build the final design out of buryl to match the wood accents of the larriat. Several coats of high gloss lacquer and it should look factory. It sets on the transmission tunnel as I just can't bring myself to drilling holes in the dash.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Haven't messed with the SWR's yet. Have a meter, but was trying to get done in time to watch some football tonight since I missed a bunch yesterday working on my brakes and helping my in-laws move some crap.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
FoMoCo said:
I drilled the center of the roof. It still hurts sometimes but its done.
Like This.

FoMoCo said:
I temped in a pine type box to mount the two radios in, have changed the design a few times and am just about to build the final design out of buryl to match the wood accents of the larriat. Several coats of high gloss lacquer and it should look factory. It sets on the transmission tunnel as I just can't bring myself to drilling holes in the dash.

Be sure to take some pictures............I am very interested in doing this also for the Kenwood D700, the CB and the Scanner.

Tbar

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i silenced the ant last night.
added a few airfoil or airflow directors to the ant. made from sticky thin plumbing foam. looks aerodynamic now and no whistling
there aint no way i am drilling a hole in the roof :eek: :eek: :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64