Cetane Ratings

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone and Happy Hoildays!!

Just wondering does anyone have any information in regards to what brand of diesel has the highest cetane rating or what brands have what ratings. I have always said the diesel pumps should have to post the cetane ratings like the gasoline pumps post octane ratings.

Thanks
bot

dpantazis

Reaction score
the fuel is so variable, the only thing you can be sure of is the minimum per astm.

if you really must know, ask the station for their source. then get in touch with the distributors in you area and ask for copies of the astm certs for the fuel.

its a pain in the butt though.

what motivates the question?

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, we diesel owners should know what we purchase regarding the cetane rating of the brand we choose. In my area, there are two Citgo staions on the same hwy, about 2 miles apart. One advertises "Premium Diesel" the other one doesn't and are usually the same price. I have read somewhere, someone said BP diesel fuel has a high cetane rating. There are a few BP stations in my area although I have not purchased thier diesel fuels. I do ensure where ever I purchase diesel in my area, I go where the sale volume is high, so the diesel fuel is the fresh.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
the fuel is so variable, the only thing you can be sure of is the minimum per astm.

if you really must know, ask the station for their source. then get in touch with the distributors in you area and ask for copies of the astm certs for the fuel.

its a pain in the butt though.

what motivates the question?

i can ditto this. as i have done this before myself.

and here (mn) kwik trip (a local station, made by Koch) has the higher rating than the BP (and bp is a Marathon product) so i was told. NOW, the same koch product shipped to wisconsin - 20 miles away gets a higher rating...:dunno

best to make a call.
btw: i agree w/ you that the numbers should be posted

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can ditto this. as i have done this before myself.

and here (mn) kwik trip (a local station, made by Koch) has the higher rating than the BP (and bp is a Marathon product) so i was told. NOW, the same koch product shipped to wisconsin - 20 miles away gets a higher rating...:dunno

best to make a call.
btw: i agree w/ you that the numbers should be posted

The short of a long story:

Was in the fuel business at a NAS. Truck dropped us 2K of diesel one day. On my way home saw him at a Texaco delivering diesel... an hour later, saw the same truck at a "Fast Trip" (7 Eleven type) dropping diesel.

JMO but our biggest concern should be.. Buying our fuel at a reputable station that has a good turn-over of diesel fuel. What little dif there may be in the Cetane rating is moot as compared to Good Clean Fresh fuel. If it meets ASTM/API specs to be marketed as Diesel Fuel.. we're Good To Go.

A little DK or 2 cycle oil is good for the Mind & Motor too..

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
interesting:
Biodiesel from vegetable oil sources have been recorded as having a cetane number range of 46 to 52, and animal-fat based biodiesels cetane numbers range from 56 to 60

cetane is available at the pump in the US with anywhere from 38-42. the premium (wich i have never seen before) SHOULD be 42-45. what stations have what fuel however.....?

personally i am more concerned with the water and poo content of the fuel rather than the small window of cetane number, ESPECIALLY because a high revving diesel will see a performance gain plateu when the CN hits 55 or more. im sure for the slow rpms a PSD is spinning a CN of 40 is just fine.

OBS96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Premium Diesel:Shell,and BP, Don't believe what you read!

The only two stations you will see this sign at is, SHELL, and BP. They are one, and, the same. It's just a ploy to get you to buy their usually over priced fuel. Don't fall for it! Just try to make sure you're buying the freshest fuel possible. In these times, that usually means the station with the cheapest price. Don't be afraid to run cetane booster, and 2 cycle oil in your fuel. 1 oz., to 1 gallon for the 2 cycle oil. I do. The engine is a little quieter[Internal componants are being lubed better]. The cetane booster gives you a little more power, and MPG. Follow lable directions for the cetane booster.

Last edited:

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually use the Ford Centane Booster in warm weather and Ford Anti-gel in the cold months. Each bottle is about $7-$8 and treats 125 gals fuel. I by my diesel at a few places in my area that sell alot of diesel, thats the way I like it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58