Changed over to Rotella 5-40 synthetic.

Oboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed over to Rotella this last weekend, and have some first impressions about it.

The first thing I have noticed is that it takes less time to cool down. It was taking well over 5 min to get the EGT down to 350 and now it’s like 2 min. Why is that? Why would the type of oil you use affect the EGT?

The second thing is the truck seems to respond a bit better when hitting the pedal. Again why?

Will going to a 5-40 be O.K. for towing my 9k 5er? I would think it should be fine.

So at this point I wished I would have done this sometime back. I’m very happy with this change. :sweet I hope the fuel mileage goes up a bit also. Has anyone seen there mileage go up after changing to Rotella?

Thanks Mark :thanks

Skweeker

Resident Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Been running Rotella since new. I switched to 5W-40 synthetic for the winter. Around the same time my fuel-in-oil percentages started to climb. Of course I idled the engine longer in the winter.

I had not noticed any fuel mileage improvements between 10W-40 amd 5W-40. I did notice a slight improvement in engine starting with the 5W-40 synthetic but that is the only improvement I noticed.

I've since switched back to 10W-40 Rotella. I, however, do not tow anything at this time.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been running Rotella 5w40 for a while now, but I think I will switch over to 15w40 for the summer. I tow rather heavy loads on occasions. Walmart has it on the shelves.

Dave :oops:

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Skweeker said:
That's where I buy my oil.
They are also carrying Mobil SUV/truck synthetic which is the same as Delvac 1. IMOHO it is top line synthetic oil and one step higher grade than Rotella 5w40. Rotella is a hydro-cracked oil. It is better than regular dino oil but really doesn't spec out as well as Mobil, Red line, Amsoil or Royal Purple.
There is a reason the true synthetics cost a little more.
Jim

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTT...
IN your estimation than the Mobil is betta than the Royal Purple ?
My oil change place wanted to do Royal purple yesterday...
but it was a moot point since they didn't have enough to do my 6.0 X.

PLEASE, not trying to start an oil war discussion... just trying to determine if I want to go to synthetic...

haulin8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to do a oil change this weekend. I bought 3 five quart jugs of Mobile 1 SUV at $19.95 a jug :eek: How long will I be able to go before I have to change my oil out running the Mobile 1. I told the wife I would be saving some money by changing my own oil and when I came home from Wally-world with a $90 receipt she gave me that look, you know the one! :sorry I told her that I would be able to go twice as long without changing my oil next time. What do you guys do? -popcorn

VIZARD

"Saddle up!"
Reaction score
I went to Mobil 1 Truck and SUV @ 10,000 miles (now @ 19,000) and am very happy with it.

I still change oil @ every 5,000 miles...but that is just the way I am.

If your are looking for extended duration between oil changes then I would do Blackstone oil analysis at 5,000 / 7,500 and 10,000 miles increments to establish a benchmark. In addition, you might want to add an oil filtering system such as Oil Guard.

Hmmm, maybe changing at every 5,000 miles isn't so anal retentive after all.

I told the wife I would be saving some money... What do you guys do?

Keep lying.

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for the newest rated oils for your motors!!!

Only use CI4+ (instead of CI4) since it was developed for extra soot control in EGR valved motors and for extra shearing protection of the oil.

I feel that CI4+ oil (dino or synth.) is the way to go. It doesn't matter which brand, just use the latest oil formulation for our highly sensitive and computerized motors.

I am a firm believer that quality fuel additives for a cleaner burn and reduced soot solves or prevents many of the EGR valve issues and adds the lubricacy that low sulfur fuel doesn't have for our injectors. The CI4+ oil meets the demands of our trucks and should be used over the older CI4 rated oil that some still are selling.

Look for the lable and read. Motorcraft dino oil is CI4+ rated and has been working very well for me with 5,000 mile changes. Went to my local store and found that they had some older CI4 rated Motorcraft and CI4+ rated oil mixed together.... so read the back lable and only use (dino or syth.) CI4+ oil.

Good luck,

Jeff

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there Jeff !
another FTE refugee found his way to the new neighborhood !!!

Hope things are well with ya !!! :thumbs

John (aka jdadamsjr)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr