Charging system problems.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery light in dash came on last night. Checked voltage at batteries with truck shut off. 12.5V. Started truck and checked voltage at alternator. 13.6V. Battery light went out. Decided to clean cables, posts, and load test batteries. Load test good and water level in batteries is good. Drove about 20 miles before battery light came on again. Checked voltage at betteries and alternator. 11.8V with engine running. Replaced alternator. Still not charging. My Haynes repair manual (I hate that book.) says to check the fusable links, but does not tell you where that are. Anybody know? Any other ideas? Thanks guys.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The fuse links should be tied to the right battery + post. They have a bulge in the wire for the fuse link. You should have 14+ volts running.

Dave

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I found the fuse links, and I have continuity through all 3 of them. The wiring diagram I have shows power going through fuse 45 and fuse 64. Fuse 45 is good, but I cannot find fuse 64. Is there another fuse panel somewhere besides the one under the dash?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Check your ground connections on both ends. I've found that a lot of money can be thrown at battery & alternator issues that were little more than a loose or greasy connection.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I found the problem. The reman alternator I got was bad. Took it back, had it tested and got my money back. Since they didn't have another in stock, I went to another parts place and got one. Put it on and it works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14