Charging trailer battery

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Sorry if in wrong forum, but I noticed no one has been in the towing forum for a while!! :dunno

Anyway, As you can see in my sig, I have a 2008 F350 KR. I am getting ready to purchase a new cargo trailer to use mostly for hunting trips. Once the trailer is mine, a water tank, pump, lights, etc will be going in. I am going to install a deep cycle battery to run all this. My quesitons are:

1. Is my trailer plug on the truck already wired so I can charge the battery I install in the trailer while driving?

2. Do I just hook up the "hot" wire to the positive post on the trailer battery and then ground the negative post to the trailer and it will charge as I am driving?

3. The trailer will have brakes and a battery for the brakes. I am assuming this is wired to charge will driving. Can I just "pig" off this battery to charge the extra battery I will be installing?

Thanks in advance!!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Leave the trailer brake battery along. Do not use it for anything. This is the break-away brake system that activates your brakes if the trailer should venture off on its own. There is a + for the battery in the plug and it is hooked up in the truck. You will have to hook up the 7 or 9 pin wiring for this. I am not 100% sure how this hooks up. Big Joe or someone else will be able to help you. Post some photos of your trailer.

Dave ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if in wrong forum, but I noticed no one has been in the towing forum for a while!! :dunno

Anyway, As you can see in my sig, I have a 2008 F350 KR. I am getting ready to purchase a new cargo trailer to use mostly for hunting trips. Once the trailer is mine, a water tank, pump, lights, etc will be going in. I am going to install a deep cycle battery to run all this. My quesitons are:

1. Is my trailer plug on the truck already wired so I can charge the battery I install in the trailer while driving?

2. Do I just hook up the "hot" wire to the positive post on the trailer battery and then ground the negative post to the trailer and it will charge as I am driving?

3. The trailer will have brakes and a battery for the brakes. I am assuming this is wired to charge will driving. Can I just "pig" off this battery to charge the extra battery I will be installing?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Whoever you are buying this trailer from should be able to help you with this.. OR you should tell them what you want ???

But before you get the new trailer.. the best thing to do is.. Take a look at the cover on the trailer plug in connection on your truck.. There's legend/diagram, molded into the cover, telling you what pin plug provides power for what.... Then, use a test light to verify that a PO (if any) hasn't made any changes.

(The center pin is seldom powered up, OEM.. and could be used to charge a trailer battery.. "on the move")

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track