Question Check engine light

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I just got my '05 6.0 back from the dealership 2 days ago. They rebuilt the turbo, replaced the EGR cooler hose and a few other misc. things. So I decide to air it out and take a last minute 80 mile trip down IH10 to Houston today. Less than 20 miles into the trip, the darn check engine light comes on. The truck runs great and I did not notice any difference in the engine's performance and the truck has been running a lot better for the last two days. I make it to Houston and stop by an auto zone to scan the computer. They tell me the code is P012F. I do a little research on the fly and find out this has to do with the oil cooler. When I start the engine back up to hit the highway, the light is gone and stays off the whole way back until I get about 10 miles from home. Any thoughts? Is my oil cooler about to bite the dust? I have already contacted the dealership and told them I do not want this truck anymore due to me having numerous issues with it in the first 2 weeks I have had it, but I really enjoy the driving the truck. I am just concerned I got into a bad deal. The truck only has 48,000 miles on it and already having a lot of problems even though it is a 2005. If I keep the truck, I have been thinking about either the EGR delete or the EGR cooler upgrade. Which is better/worse and can anyone give any pros and cons to either? I have a vacation planned in 1 week that I will be towing a 30' travel trailer and I need the truck, but what kind of repairs am I looking at? I am getting very discouraged about this 6.0.

Thanks, Eric

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What that code means is the difference between the oil and water temps is out of range (too high). The oil cooler maybe going south as the difference is greater than 12 - 14° F. You may need a new oil cooler soon.

Dave :)

willie "D"

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I installed the Full BPD kit (upgraded egr cooler/ remote oil cooler and filter) and The EDGE CTS on my 04 F350. I pulled a 22' TT down to Oregon that the truck did'nt notice. Now I pull a 37' 5th with garage that it feels but don't care. Since your Lifted and have an exhaust mod, I would suspect your truck either is running a tune or was running a tune before you bought it. I am a fan of the oil cooler upgrade and filter relocation but am still questioning keeping the egr system. Do your research, I'm still doing mine!!!:dizzy:dizzy

Last edited:

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Willie "d".. As far as I know no tuner before I bought the truck, but not for sure. I have no tuner on it now and have no plans for one. I am learning as I go. I plan on having a long cha with a powerstroke tech Monday to see what needs to be done to get this thing running like it should. I just hope it doesn't empty my pockets.

willie "D"

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Since you'll be in that far ask them to look at your HPOP STC fitting, if it's good you'll have piece of mind, if it ain't it'll save you money. I know from my install there kit comes with alot of while your in there upgrade parts. But that was'nt one of them.

emh3090

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok a short follow up.... The engine light was the engine oil cooler biting the dust on me. I took my truck to an independent powerstroke mechanic and he replaced the factory cooler with an upgraded oil cooler. I was also talked into dropping the extra cash to upgrade the EGR cooler to an aftermarket one while he was in there replaciing the oil cooler. I got the truck back late this week and it is running great. I think the extra investment might have just been worth it.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it all works for you, it seams we always have to get the bugs worked out of them.
Doug

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58