Check gage light on dash

metzer.hr

METZ44
Reaction score
My transmission temp reading goes all the way up to the high side and than comes back down to no reading at all. My tow haul button on the shift handle (auto trans) blinks off and on. Reading the manual tells me to have the engine serviced asap. The truck runs fine and the light does not stay on all the time. Does anyone know where the sensor is for the trans temp reading and is it safe to drive. I haul lumber in a trailer every day to work, not to mention all the tools a haul as well:confused::dizzy

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm of a mind to think you might wanna get that looked at...

metzer.hr

METZ44
Reaction score
I drove the truck today and tow/haul blinks only when the trans gage pegs out.Today the gage went to hot mark and back down to normal reading,it bounces up and down several times a minute. Does anyone know where the sending unit is located for the trans temp?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What do you drive?? The gauges are computer controlled. That is they show you only what they (the computer) wants you to see. The sender is probably OK. Let me know what you drive for a possible sender location.

Dave

metzer.hr

METZ44
Reaction score
Can the trans temp fluctuate that quick, up and down several times a minute. That is to say go from hot to cold? so fast

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The computer is screw up and not the gauge or the sending unit. Don't know what to tell you, but a scanner is in your future.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I wouldn't be driving it..
Dude, without getting it scanned, you're going to throw parts at it and it won't fix it;
you may end up lunching the trans in the process.

You need to crawl under it and look for chafed wires on every branch of the wiring harness that goes to the transmission, and run the main loom back to the bulkhead connector if you're going to try to do something yourself...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58