Check your HPX Lines!

dpantazis

Reaction score
Howdy all-

Been laying low for a while playing out some 2-9 and 2-7 hands dealt to me the last couple of years.....anyhow, back to Kings and Aces now...

My beloved Big Red starts making a mess.... oil in the valley, but not enough to be a gusher (yet), dinner plate sized puddle under the truck. ... Dyed the oil and its coming from somewhere near the turbo pedestal. So I figure that is common enough, we are at 220k so I should count my blessings. Order me up some o-rings from dieselorings and wait for a chance to wrench and get cracking...

Its been like 8-9 years since I had the intake and IC and charge cooler apart all the way to the turbo. The Racor PCV filter is doing its job- everything is CLEAN! 79 cent travel sized Aquanet did its job sealing up the boots. My homebrew plenum reinforcing rings did their job.

What didn't do its job is the HPX crossover line! As s professional engineer, it's a perfect example of bad engineering. Like a classic failure analysis example. Both the geometry and construction contributed to this failure. The plastic corrugated loom cover that came on the hose as protection, totally disintegrated and in pieces in the valley. This was a clue in hind site. Bubbles in the line under the outer rubber cover- leaks in the hose. Plain and simple, NOT the right hose for the job. The popped blister at the crimped on connector- poor workmanship in assembly. You should NOT get a failure here with a properly detailed and assembled hose..

The rubbing of the hose on the turbo pedestal bolt- that is either by poor design or poor installation. My money is on poor design seeing the rest of the issues. It should not have been anywhere near that bolt by design. I can accept if I f'd up putting it in, but I know that I fussed and fussed on this when I installed it because I recognized that if I didn't install this well, it could wear through and burst and I would be broke down on the side of a road in the dark in the rain somewhere... i remember using paint stirrers as shims to gap it and space the line when I tightened the connections.

Hmm, so I go check the diesel performance 'site' that I go the line from for updates or info. The 'site' says 'their' recommendation is to change this component AND the factory HPOP lines yearly. This screams CYA to me. Their 'new' design routes the hose a different way..hmm.

I can see them trying to cover their butts on their hose, but to claim the OEM HPOP lines lines once s year is ridiculous. More incompetent 'engineering'... stock HPOP line failures are unheard of. The duty cycled and the components used in the construction of these hoses went through way more engineering and review than you can imagine. The failure rate of the millions of those hoses is so small . Makes you wonder how many of theirs have failed so that they had to put up their disclaimer in red on their web site.

So on to the pictures...

2016-05-01_zpsvwxppfny.png

2016-05-01%201_zpsgbrk2i0y.png

2016-05-01%202_zpsonzy9lji.png

2016-05-01%204_zpskv0ynggw.png

2016-05-01%203_zpsk4dqggkp.png

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to Hear from ya !!

I remember the same thinking on the routing (and construction/design) of the HPX on my 2K. Worried about it enough to cover the length of it with a piece of ??" hose.. and a saddle type bracket... to steady it and keep it away from stuff.

Think I'll pass this on.. to the guy that bought 'ol Whitey.

Joe

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Its been a long time since I did the cross over line but I seem to remember the company I bought from sent me a replacement SS braided line(free) after they had some issues.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
OMG your alive,
been awhile, agree your lines are a bit on the old side, a flex line there imo could have been a ss tube,
a few years back during the rebuild of the marines ea 6b, we replaced all alum tubing with stainless ones, hard as heck to get in place on some spots, but they didnt vibrate or have leak issues

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear from you Dennis!

freaky, was looking at this on my '02 when I changed the fuel filter this Saturday. No I am jinxed for sure; while mine is not a blue hose, I do recall the "replace annually" CYAdvice...when I installed it in maybe '06.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Ditto! Great to see some of the old clan is still kicking :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

powerstoked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Riffraff makes a great stainless unit with perfect bends to clear pedestal. Install on my 2002.

IMG_0210.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64