Clunking after 4X4 engagement

Marcottemw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2002 F-250 SuperDuty

I recently had my front differential and axle bearings and seals replaced. The shop said my locking hubs were bad so I replaced those myself. (Just replaced them last year as well). After all this and attempting to use the "Auto" 4X4 it still doesn't work. I can lock it in manually and it works just fine. Therefore my next step is to look for vacuum leak for the auto feature. New problem now is that after using the manual 4X4 I got a clunking noise when braking. I took it out of 4X4 and the new clunking is still there. Any thoughts? This is my work truck that I MUST have for towing my equipment and with our snow and ice here in the Inland NW (WA) I really need to ID and fix this quickly. Thanks to all that view and potentially reply.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that it happens after engaging the hubs I'd say the issue is in there. Maybe something didn't disconnect completely.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with clunking when breaking on a truck that i bought used. After a couple weeks i found time to check the issue out. What i found was the caliper was jumping up and bumping the caliper bracket because the spring shim was left out when someone changed the brake pads. I'd start with checking the calipers.

dvor316

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the double cardan joint on the driveshaft? Mine was clunking and that is what the issue was.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64