Question cold weather operation

threebellz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 6.4 and have noticed that when it is cold, 0 or colder I have poor performance and even power loss. I actually had it die and needed to go into service, they couldnt find anything and suggested I use additive, so I am and so far so good. I had a 7.3 and NEVER used additive, not a single issue. I miss my 7.3! Anyone else have this problem?:hail

Jeffro

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
-10 and no problems

I was in Des Moines over Christmas and had no problems at -10 deg F. My mileage was down to 13 mpg from it's usual 17 mpg. It started and ran OK. It never would heat up fully while driving around town, but on the highway it would come up to normal temp. Good Luck!

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
The 6.4 likes fuel additive. I run a 50/50 mixture of Power-Serve anti-gel and diesel kleen. A quart total at fill up. And as soon as its at 1/4 tank, its time to fill it.

rudolphvan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have had lows of -13F for the last month or so, no fuel additives req'd, but things are slow to spool if I don't keep it plugged in 24/7. Lots of white smoke if I don't use the block heater. My biggest problem is having snow from the plow get picked up in my air intake and causing severe loss of power due to air restriction. Mines a early 99 7.3 SD 6 spd man xmsn. I am pushing an 8ft Fisher HD plow and my driveway is a steep 3/4 of a mile long. I am running a 0/30 wt synthetic oil, I know its not recommended but will be doing another change before winter is over.

Jeffro

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ford Anti-gel

I used a half bottle of Ford's Anti-gel (black cap) per tank of fuel. I put in about twice the recomended amount. I like driving my truck instead of working on it by the side of the road.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Hi threebellz I'm just west of you at St. James. I have run Howes anti-gel in no. 2 diesel in my 7.3 and now the 06 without any issues. I know some stations sell only blended fuel but you usually have to ask to find out the percent of no. 1 they put in. Like what was said, pluging it in helps alot.

threebellz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had a 2000 7.3 that I bought new and drove until I had 200,000 miles on it with almost no issues including never using additive in cold minnesota winters parked outside all of the time, I did plug it in but that is it. I love my new 6.4 because the interior is so much better but very dissapointing Ford has moved backwards on the engine, so now I guess I live with additive all winter. Oh to top it off 15-20% worse mpg, I need a drink.:dizzy

bowstring

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I live in northern Minnesota and have always run straight number 1 in the winter with Diesel Kleen and have never had any problems. The local Cenex has it. Seems like all the other station carry only blend.

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW: I have run my 6.4 in -5/-10 and did not notice any issues other than it takes forever to warm up. No additives (although I probably should have), just plugged in to keep the oil in some kind if condition to circulate on start-up

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58