Connecting Rods

metallakid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi my names Justin, I'm new to the site. I was curious if you new the last year that they put forged connecting rods in the 7.3 Powerstroke. I'm in the market for a superduty and would like one with the forged steel connecting rods because i'll be heavily upgrading the truck.

thanks,
Justin

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I thought it had to do with the engine serial no. which is on a valve cover and it went into 2001 cuz mine has them. At least that's what was on the other site. Someone here must know the split date and number because I didn't keep the info. :dunno

nevrnf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forged rod cut off date was Oct 16 2000 at serial # 149832. Unfortunatly they played games near the end and started mixing forged rods in. I know this for a fact as i had a PM motor with a serial # 149783 in a early 01 truck.
Stick with a 2000 to be safe

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Justin, I knew these guys would have the right answer for you. I thought it was 2000 but wasnt sure, now you know the serial number cut off as well.

I have another question for the brainiacs here. Did the PM rods then continue on until the 7.3 went away or did they switch back to forged rods again?

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some cases in 01's where they ran out of PMR's and installed forged rods after the date, but it's rare.

PMR's are in all Powerstrokes after 2001 to current.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Is there anyway to tell which rods you have without getting into the motor?
Looks to me like year and engine serial number are the two best ways, other than that if you are in that "grey" area it might mean dropping the pan to find out for sure?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Is there anyway to tell which rods you have without getting into the motor?

Inspection Hole Pics

Those pics will help identify for sure what you have. I used a ground down 3/8ths extension to fit the plug. If you look at the rod bolts through the hole, PMR's have a capscrew rodbolt due to the "cracked-cap" design. Forged have press-in bolts with nuts.

I have the dreaded PMR syndrome. :( Saw the capscrew with my own two eyes! -mad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58