Converter choices

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 4r100 and I'm lookking for a converter. I didnt find any good recommendations besides "get a triple disk billet blah blah blah". I'm specifically loking for the lowest stall converter out there. I want it to feel locked up tight and early, I'm used to driving the 6 speed so the last thing I want is a mushy auto.

Any suggestions. Links would be helpful if you have em.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Always heard good things on the transgo tugger kit. You just hauling heavy loads I assume or just a daily driver?

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always heard good things on the transgo tugger kit. You just hauling heavy loads I assume or just a daily driver?

Mostly light trailers, occasionally contruction equipment. Generally I need daily driver service with good economy and performance.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I'd say transgo would be good for ya. The tranny place here in town installs them alot on the powerstrokes and dodges around here and most are the construction trucks hauling skid loaders and other heavy loads. I plan on installing a kit eventually. Its the only one I've heard of so thats all I know right now. Of course you can mix and match converters. Billet would be the way to go if we all had a money tree haha.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 4r100 and I'm lookking for a converter. I didnt find any good recommendations besides "get a triple disk billet blah blah blah". I'm specifically loking for the lowest stall converter out there. I want it to feel locked up tight and early, I'm used to driving the 6 speed so the last thing I want is a mushy auto.

Any suggestions. Links would be helpful if you have em.

I would spend a little more and go ahead and add a
Custom Valve Bodie to the rebuilt.

Doug

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you're getting answers to a question that you didn't even ask.

For a converter, Racer X sells some good ones, I am pleased with the one I'm running from Ultimate converter concepts. Many of the builders use custom tweaked versions of precision industries (be aware there are 2 companies making converters under this name you want the purple "stallion" converter)

As for the valve body this is where you're going to get the biggest benefit in decreasing mush in the transmission. The tugger HD2 kit comes with a calibration plate which will give you all of the control that you want over how firm the transmission shifts by drilling larger holes in the plate. The larger the hole the firmer the shift. If the transmission that you're going to use does not have good seals then you'll always have mushy shifts, no way around it. A word of caution for "custom valve bodies" some are only the accumulator body, others are simply a kit installed from transo or another trans parts company.

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you're getting answers to a question that you didn't even ask.

For a converter, Racer X sells some good ones.

This is going in a heavy excursion 4x4, my mods are a ts 5 position chip, cold air intake, and a turbo back exhaust. Would something like this be a good fit for me:
Racer X

Or would I be wasting money and prolly not like it. Should I spring for this:

Racer X

I checked those PI converters and they're around $1100. I'm asssuming that's definetly overkill for my application???

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the valve body this is where you're going to get the biggest benefit in decreasing mush in the transmission. The tugger HD2 kit comes with a calibration plate which will give you all of the control that you want over how firm the transmission shifts by drilling larger holes in the plate.

I guess I'm not clear about the benefit of a shift kit vs a valve body vs a tune that all change the shift firmness and timing.

Besides shift feel, I'm also concerned about it feeling mushy while accelerating in a gear. I dont want the engine to run up to 2000 and the speed catch up slowly. This would drive me nuts honestly and its my biggest concern about switching to an auto.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64