Help Needed Cooling system flush. Do I need VC-1, VC-9 and VC-8?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed from the Green to Motorcraft Gold, when Ford/IH said we could.

Flushed it with the Garden hose, until it was clear (to me). R&R'd both hoses. Poured in the Gold & Distilled water. No additives. (@ 6?K)

Water Pump went South. (7?K)

Drained the Gold into some buckets, R&R'd the pump, installed a Coolant Filter, and Real.. Temp gauge. Poured the Gold back in. Added some Prestone 50/50 Gold to bring the level back to the "Full when Cold" mark. No additives. Took 3 coolant filters to "clean up"... what was, to me, clear.

All that was 100K ago now, with Allot of 5r towing... All Over the USA. Still no additives.. or Test strips.

I'm think'n the Coolant Change~Maintenance level thing is just a matter of Personal Choice & Need, maybe ??

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that was 100K ago now, with Allot of 5r towing... All Over the USA. Still no additives.. or Test strips.

I'm think'n the Coolant Change~Maintenance level thing is just a matter of Personal Choice, maybe ??

:dunno

Joe

The additives are a MUST when it comes to the green stuff. With the yellow stuff, they say you don't need to. Again, some have tested the stuff and found it wanting or barely adequate. The gold stuff is a fleet coolant. That way they can order it in 55 gal drums and cost less since they can use it on any truck or car that comes in. The red stuff is only good on the trucks and not the light F150s or cars. Without test strips, how do you know it is ok? You can't see cavitation from the outside.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without test strips, how do you know it is ok? You can't see cavitation from the outside.

I Agree aklim ;tu

I was being generic to my location here in Cali., and probably should have thought beyond that (wordsmithed my Post). Certainly, if you live in a Colder climate.. Testing the protection level, periodically, would be a Must, but going on My experiences with these PSDs, I've Heard & Read about the Cavitation issues but not to a level that has made [me] believe that additional additives are/is an [Absolute] requirement.

Again.. I think it boils down too.. Personal Choice, based on experience.

I'm told, by my Ford garage, the Motorcraft Gold has all the additives we need... in it, and any Major brand Coolant, that meets or exceeds the manufactures specs is.. good to use. I go with that.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58