Help Needed CPS keeps failing! Please help...

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First off, I have searched the forums this morning for about 2 hours and haven't found anything related to my problem so I wanted to ask for help here.

In the last 6 months, my truck has started eating CPS's again. I had happen a few years ago also. I had two used ones on hand and had swapped them out as one would fail. I then had to buy one from Advance Auto and it lasted about two months. The one from Advance Auto failed so they swapped it out for free but this is getting ridiculous.

Symptoms are: Start it up (usually leaving from work) and runs fine. I don't even get one block from work and it starts missing like its running on about four cylinders. It also throws a SEL at this point and that light stays on until it either smooths out or I get it home to change the CPS out. I had Advance Auto check for codes and there weren't any. I have checked the harness for bare or burned wires and couldn't find any. I haven't checked the harness in great detail but I will do that this weekend.

I talked to a guy at work and he wondered if the IDM could be starting to fail. I wouldn't think this would be the case since I just replaced that in 2010. I had also researched IDM failure and it either runs or it doesn't. What else could be causing my truck to eat CPS's?

I am stumped and appreciate any help or suggestions you guys might have.

Thanks

95bamastroked

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I wondered about that as well. I have looked at the parts list sticky and I think if I can just go with a stock replacement CPS I would be happy.

If anyone else wants to chime in, your welcome to.

Thanks

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a good harness check too. The CPS's aren't showing evidence of being damaged on the sensor surface are they (after you remove them)? There have been some folks that have had cam thrust issues that wipe the sensor face out (I don't think that it's very common though). You may also want to consider replacing the CPS connector with a repair pigtail:

Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) Connector (repair connector with 12” pigtails for CPS)
(Ford) 7U2Z-14S411-SA (96-97, also shows WPT-899 on package)
(International) 2501108C1

Cheers!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58