Cracking Bathtub

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I have a Eljer cermaic lined steel bathtub I installed about 2.5 years ago and now it appears the ceramic coating is getting little cracks in it and rust is coming through it. I installed a marble surround so changing it is a last resort. I was thinking of neutralizing the rust with naval jelly and then coating it with paint-on bed liner. It should make it water proof and grippy. Has anyone tried this? Any better ideas?

ISurvivedNMU

Reaction score
What about cleaning the rust up with an acid, and filling the cracks with a bondo, them painting the tub with a gloss of your choice, you could even clear it.

That would create a nice look for ya. I cannot imagine getting soap scum out of a material like a bedliner......

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Do a search for "bathtub refinishing" on your favorite search engine. There are alot of products out there available for the home user.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Do a search for "bathtub refinishing" on your favorite search engine. There are alot of products out there available for the home user.

I checked that out but this link makes me nervous:
HGTV

$200-$500 is alot of cheese (the tub was only $100) and it says it only lasts 10 years with care. I figure since the factory finish only lasted 2.5 years the tub is flexing and that will cause the life of the new finish to be shorter also.

Soapscum could be a problem but I think some of the good cleaners and a stiff brush would clean it. The tub was coated with grit in the bottom and it was prety bad to clean also. The bedliner solution seems like a relatively cheap, easy and durable solution.

Had I know I would have spent more on a fancier tub but I did not think it would be an issue and I did not want to have to deal with a heavy cast iron tub. A good thick acrylic tub probably would have been best. IF I have to replace this tub it will be ugly.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Had I know I would have spent more on a fancier tub but I did not think it would be an issue and I did not want to have to deal with a heavy cast iron tub. A good thick acrylic tub probably would have been best. IF I have to replace this tub it will be ugly.

The old adage rings true again........ you get what you pay for.

JOE M

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I used to install only fiberglass and castiron tubs for that reason.$100 more and there is no problem.There are comlanies that make drop on shells that will solve your problem,I think it is called Bathfitter's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg