Help Needed Crank but no start Code P2291

Ramrod250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have not been on in a while and need your help guys. Went to leave work with a crank but no start. Never had a issue before that. I have access to a snap on scanner and pulled a P2291 injector control pressure too low code. the pressure builds to a little over 400psi in the first ten seconds of cranking and drops to zero just as fast when I stop(according to the scanner). Have not found a spec yet or if it should drop so fast. Dont know where to start testing. I have access to the scanner any time and can pull more info if need be.I have 12 yrs auto experance but no time on diesels. I was going to buy a extended warrenty but my wife lost her job and money got real tight. I dont have the money to just try parts to see if it fixes it or to take it to a garage. Any help would greatly be welcome.

Truck 05 6.0L 40,000Miles
5w-40 syn moble
all stock except for summit air box and 4in turbo back

atk

Reaction score
should build at least 500 psi(to fire) and not drop. since it is an 05, it could be the HPOP connector(been know to be a problem) or your ICP sensor not working properly....hope this helps

Ramrod250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
not sure if it is connected but saw in other threads but this winter if I left before the truck had enough time to warm up even with being plugged in for hours it would burp out a cloud of blueish grey smoke down the street. The turbo boosted up but the truck wouldnt go over 1000 rpm for about 1/2 block and then take off like it just broke through the sound barrer. If I let it sit and run and warm up I had no problem. Though maby it wasen't warmed up enough but could it be a bad injector?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
not sure if it is connected but saw in other threads but this winter if I left before the truck had enough time to warm up even with being plugged in for hours it would burp out a cloud of blueish grey smoke down the street. The turbo boosted up but the truck wouldnt go over 1000 rpm for about 1/2 block and then take off like it just broke through the sound barrer. If I let it sit and run and warm up I had no problem. Though maby it wasen't warmed up enough but could it be a bad injector?

what you're describing there is the EBPV slammed shut..

Ramrod250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
should build at least 500 psi(to fire) and not drop. since it is an 05, it could be the HPOP connector(been know to be a problem) or your ICP sensor not working properly....hope this helps

I am getting a oil pressure tester (1000psi) to verfie that the ICP sensor is reading the right pressure. 500psi to start? Is that min or normal starting pressure? How long should it hold pressure with the key off. Thank You

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
500 psi to allow the computer to start. I am not aware of a minimum time, at key off, for the HPOP to hold 500 psi. The starter will build up the pressure.

Dave

Ramrod250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Could not get a hold of a guage to test the ICP sensor so I went to ford and bought a new one. Still have the same results, between 380 and a little over 400psi cranking pressure with a no start. How do I tell the differance between a internal leak and a bad HPOP?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can't tell the difference just by looking. It would require a good tech or a disassembly to find out.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr