Custom Tailoring The Rear Suspension

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright fellas, as of a few days ago, I was the proud owner of a 29' travel trailer. I sold it for one reason, it pulled like crap. Unfortunately, it wasn't really the trailers fault.

The trailer had just enough tongue weight to lightly set my truck on the helper springs. When I hit a bump, the trailer would compress the springs further then they would rebound and launch the rear of the truck upwards. In doing so, a domino effect was started and it took a few up these up and down jolts before things would settle back down.

I bought a Thor fifth wheel the other day which should have a tongue weight that closely matches that of my gooseneck flatbed (which tows great) just so that I could have a peaceful towing experience.

Anyway, I have been contemplating installing air bags for a while now and I think I may pull the trigger soon. While I was under the truck, I began wondering if I could remove some of the leaf springs and use the air bags to take up the lost capacity.

For starters, I could pull some air out of the bags and have a softer ride when empty. Second, the airbags should offer more stability while towing or hauling a payload. Thirdly, there have been many times when it would have been extremely convenient to have the back of the truck sitting lower that it does on the springs. I'm not talking about scraping the frame while going down the road but for loading and unloading tools, my back would really thank me.

The only problem that I see is axle wrap. How many leaves could I realistically remove before I need to add ladder bars or a four link setup?

Has anyone pulled any leaves out and had a successful outcome or should I just leave things alone (no pun intended)?

Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave Things Alone.

JMO but Yer call, when you modify OE spring packs.. yer asking for All Kinds Of trouble, unless you go with a custom designed & engineered suspension system.

A pair of air bags wiil do the trick. I run 15 psi empty... Real Good Ride. 25 with the 5r on... VERY Good Ride.

At some point.. you might concider an Air Ride 5r pin box.. SUPER good ride.

Joe

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Joe said X 2.
What you first said about your truck and travel trailer, sounds like you may need some shocks
on the back of your truck.
Doug

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58