Question Damage-causing bolt from where?

Inkfishman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On 2/7/13 I drove about 300 miles in my F250 Super Duty (6.0 l turbo diesel) with no problems - good fuel mileage and normal sounds. The next morning I went out to get coffee and the engine started easily but sounded terrible. I drove a few blocks, then pulled over and had it towed to a Ford dealer.

The dealer’s diesel techs found a small bolt in Cylinder #2. It appears to have arrived via the intake, become wedged in an intake valve (which pounded it in half), and then the bolt tip entered the cylinder where the piston pounded it flat. The bolt’s other end, with a hex head, fell out on the floor after they removed the head. The bolt’s length, if intact, would be about 1 inch. The techs looked through the entire system and found no location missing a bolt.

So, I have a new piston and head, plus a few other parts, and I’m down over $6K. Any idea how could the bolt have gotten in there? The turbo and some other items were taken off when a Ford dealer in Pennsylvania replaced my oil cooler and EGR unit about 6,000 miles ago. And the driver’s side CAC tube was replaced, along with the fan assembly, about 8,000 miles ago in Florida. The turbo was undamaged. The valve cover has never been off, to my knowledge. Clearly the bolt had been lodged in a place where it did not interfere with normal engine function - for how long is a question.

I bought the truck new, and virtually all of my service has been done by Ford dealers because I’m out of town a lot. it now has about 123,000 miles on it. Could the bolt have gotten in during engine assembly? During CAC tube replacement? During oil cooler and EGR replacement? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if taken in from the turbo area it would have damaged the turbo. So really good chance it fell in during the oil cooler EGR work and was stuck for sometime there. Was that the last person/ shop that worked on it?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if taken in from the turbo area it would have damaged the turbo. So really good chance it fell in during the oil cooler EGR work and was stuck for sometime there. Was that the last person/ shop that worked on it?

X2.

$6000.00 of your dollars.. cause someone wasn't attentive.. while putting things back to gether ? No Way Jose.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58