Help Needed dana 80 axle shaft seal replacement

huntman12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a 93 superduty (10 bolt rims). I have have a bad leak in my rear dana 80 axle shaft seal anybody replace this type of seal themselves and could give some advice? :dizzyWhat tools were required?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is easy. You have a full floating axle. The drive axle is held onto the hub assy with 6 bolts. Remove those and the axle comes out. You may have to hit it of pry it loose. Remove the big nuts that hold the wheel flange on. There is a nut, a washer, and a second nut. You will need axle flange nut socket to get them off. Pull off the wheel assy and the seal is on the inside fo the wheel assy. Easy!!

Dave

huntman12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks but I'm talking about were the drive shaft meets the rear differential. It looks like four bolts to remove the shaft then one huge nut to pull the yoke. Then what?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You had better get a manual for the truck or rear end. There is a crush sleeve and shims to screw with. Good luck.

Dave

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Should be able to remove the big nut and slide off the yoke. Then just pry out the seal and carefully tap the new one in with a small hammer, working in a circular motion with your tapping. Then torgue the nut back to specs after slipping the yoke back on, but make sure to apply a little dab of wheel bearing grease to the rubber seal lip before assembly of the yoke and nut. Don't remove the 4 bolts, from what I remember, as that would allow the removal of the pinion itself? If you torgues it right back to specs without going to tight, you won't disturb the cruch sleeve "setting" as it takes a lot of torque to "squeeze" it down. Hope this helps, and good luck

huntman12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
trouble with the yoke nut

Well, I got the drive line off and ran into trouble getting the 1 7/8 in nut to break tension. Anyone have any advice?:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
BIG impact wrench. Use air power, or have someone stand on the brake and use a big breaker bar and socket.

Dave

huntman12

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
results

I ended up taking the thing to a Big rig truck repair place where they used a 3/4 inch impact to get the nut off. Then the seal was easy to replace and we just hammered it back on cause the torq is so high and we couldn't get the wrench to click. Ended up with a small drop every min during operation. That will due for now. I'd liie to rebuild the dana 80 at some piont though.:tounge

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64