Daullie Fix

ATV1LI

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know this is a minor problem but I`m on my second Daullie & the first one (2000 F-350 Lariat) the area where the wheel well extension meets the quater panel over time would abraid the paint & it looked terrible. By the time I figured out what to do to try & stop it I ended up getting a new truck instead, problem solved. The only problem is that I bought another Daullie & I didn`t want it to happen again. I took some clear ext silicone & ran a bead around the joint. It`s been approx. 3 months & so far so good, what`s nice is it keeps debris from getting in there & easier to wax.

Reaction score
I did the same thng on my 01 - used a marine grade clear sealant by 3M. Not for the same reason though as that was my first dually so I didn't know anything about the abrasion - but more to keep the area cleaner. Crap has a way of finding that little crack there - makes it hard to wash down in there.

If anyone is thinking of this - only use enough sealant to get down into the crack and not smear on the body panels - hell cleanning it off.

Ron

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Good tip guys, I wonder why the MFG doesnt put some type of sealer or moulding strip between there from the factory.

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
ATV1LI said:
I know this is a minor problem but I`m on my second Daullie & the first one (2000 F-350 Lariat) the area where the wheel well extension meets the quater panel over time would abraid the paint & it looked terrible. By the time I figured out what to do to try & stop it I ended up getting a new truck instead, problem solved. The only problem is that I bought another Daullie & I didn`t want it to happen again. I took some clear ext silicone & ran a bead around the joint. It`s been approx. 3 months & so far so good, what`s nice is it keeps debris from getting in there & easier to wax.

Did you remove the dually fender to run your bead? I am thinking that taking them off, cleaning the exposed areas really well, doing the seal and letting it set up before reinstalling the fender would ensure a tight fit with less possibility of smearing the sealant. Is that what you are recommending?

ATV1LI

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No I didn't want to mess w/ the alignment being that the truck is only a couple months old. What I did was run a tight bead of clear marine grade silicone along the entire seam & then w/ my finger I forced it in & smoothed it out. It is hardly noticeable & after towing my 5th wheel for 800 miles it showed no signs of movement at all. Worst case if you had to remove the old silicone after a while & redo it , it does't attack the paint so their is no damage. If you wanted to get creative you could order color matched silicone .

Reaction score
ATV1LI said:
No I didn't want to mess w/ the alignment being that the truck is only a couple months old.

Yep - didn't take mine off either. Just make sure that any wax and Zaino is cleaned off. Cut the tip real small and use a wet finger. I didn't drive mine for the weekend just to make sure it was cured real good.

Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58