Help Needed Dead Battery

jason741

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 F350 with a 6.0 I am having a battery problem. My battery light comes on, so I had the alternator checked. It checked good. I had it checked at 3 different places and all said good. I installed back on vehicle and installed 2 new batteries. Everything worked good for a few hours and my light came back on. Now my battery is dead again. Truck off 12 volts. Truck running 12 volts. Tested vehicle running and alternator puts out the same voltage that the batteries have. First it started at 13 volts now I let it run with lights on and it went to 12. Any ideas? Could the alternator be going bad? Ant certain fusable link? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea sounds to me like it might be going bad. 12 volts with it on is low. i would expect to see a number like that if you were idleing with a/c on full blast lights on wipers on etc..

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I have a 2004 F350 with a 6.0 I am having a battery problem. My battery light comes on, so I had the alternator checked. It checked good. I had it checked at 3 different places and all said good. I installed back on vehicle and installed 2 new batteries. Everything worked good for a few hours and my light came back on. Now my battery is dead again. Truck off 12 volts. Truck running 12 volts. Tested vehicle running and alternator puts out the same voltage that the batteries have. First it started at 13 volts now I let it run with lights on and it went to 12. Any ideas? Could the alternator be going bad? Ant certain fusable link? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

You need about 14.2 at idle to stay ahead of everything. Cables o.k.? Volts making the trip?

Last edited:

chamillionaire66

Remember?
Reaction score
Hmm sorta the same problems here :(

Thank You!

:dunno (pictures or what im talkin about comin in a few minutes) the problem im havin now that i replace the water pump.... is my battery light coming on, its a pain in the ass, 2 new batterys, that went dead. i tested alternator and autozone, and it passd with flyin colors lol. anyways, the plug on the alternator there was one wire that was cut or burnd, couldnt really tell. i cutt the whole thing off, and well youll see in my pick ill put up.

the battery cables are crappy, so im replacin those this friday,. hopefully its just the cables and the 3 wires from the plug that are lettin my battery get draind or not readin the voltage right, ill keep everyone posted, :dunno

chamillionaire66

Remember?
Reaction score
here are the pics

:dunno (pictures or what im talkin about comin in a few minutes) the problem im havin now that i replace the water pump.... is my battery light coming on, its a pain in the ass, 2 new batterys, that went dead. i tested alternator and autozone, and it passd with flyin colors lol. anyways, the plug on the alternator there was one wire that was cut or burnd, couldnt really tell. i cutt the whole thing off, and well youll see in my pick ill put up.

the battery cables are crappy, so im replacin those this friday,. hopefully its just the cables and the 3 wires from the plug that are lettin my battery get draind or not readin the voltage right, ill keep everyone posted, :dunno

HERES THE PICS

chamillionaire66

Remember?
Reaction score
discription of pics

:dunno

1: is the plug i was talking about, the left wire is good, but has wires showin towards the little metal conector. the middle wire was fine, and the yellow one to the right was the one that looked like it was torn/cutt/burn. i couldnt tell the rubber that surrounds the wire was sorta together, but the wires werent.

2:Goin to the right is were i cutt the plug from,

3: Is the crusty ass negative batt plug on left side

4:is the right plug on left side.

5: is the positive wire, goin from left positive to right positive.

6: is the other side of picture #5 and look bad also

7: is negative cable, looks crappy also

and the last pic 8: is the belt, a bit worn, cuzz when i had probs with water pump, the fan was crooked and was rubbin on the belt. you can tell on the fan how it was rubbing on the belt, towards bottum of pic.

chamillionaire66

Remember?
Reaction score
one more thing

i just noticed i posted in 6.0L, my trucks a 7.3l, and the only reason the batt cable connects look clean on the inside is cuzz i used the brush thing from autozone. and there red spray crap.

Last edited:

chamillionaire66

Remember?
Reaction score
weeee lol

Ok i fixed my problem!!! it was the yellow wire that came from the engine into the voltage regulator... omg im so chill now. my truck is idling with better voltage!!!!! woohoo :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58