death wobble

Discussion in '6.0L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by markmc60, Sep 16, 2019.

1. markmc60

markmc60 SDD Junior Member

F-350 single rear tire, 6.0, auto, 4x4 pulling a gooseneck with john deere 4460, scales 26800lbs.
    pulled fine, noticeably heavy of course, but when I went thru a slight incline clover leaf ramp turn to the left, the steering wheel tried to "center" itself, was jerking to pull it back straight. with the weight on the rear in slight turn, I suspect the front axle U-joints, I have them and new ball joints and idler bushing as well, since I will be in there anyway. the tie rod ends and rest of linkage is good, typical.never have had problems in the past, not a daily driver, just my work horse farm truck.
    any other ideas?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Administrator Staff Member

What year is the truck?

3. markmc60

markmc60 SDD Junior Member

4. ZILLA

ZILLA SDD Junior Member

The upgraded track bar from Ready Lift along with the dual stabilizer from PMF solved my issues on my 2004 with 40's

5. Rays98GoVols

Rays98GoVols SDD Junior Member

2008 F350 King Ranch Diesel

I won't bore you with the LONG story here is what I ended up doing:

1) replaced all the shock including Steering Stabilizer
    DID NOT FIX
    2) rebuilt front axle with New Moog Ball Joints seals and U-Joints
    DID NOT FIX
    3) got a LONG list of EVERY Ball Joint, Bushing and Tie Rods Ends, Linkages etc...Ford Parts where over $1000. Shopped on eBay from Legitimate Ford Dealers (gotta be Old Stock) and only paid $350-$400 for Every part. ALL genuine Ford Parts. Had them Installed

FIXED THE PROBLEM.

The Installer showed me how the Part that went from the Drivers Side Spindle up at a Diagonal to the Passenger Side REALLY MOVED and was probably the Culprit. But after experiencing over a Dozen Death Wobbles...I was not going to take any chances...Hope this Helps