Delo 400le

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
***NOT WANTING THIS TO BE A "THIS OIL IS BETTER" THREAD, I WANT ADVICE/EXPERIENCE WITH DELO***

Does anyone have experience using the DELO 400LE in the 6.0. I have been using the 5qt jugs of Motorcraft.... but they have drastically increased in price since my last oil change. However, DELO has a fairly attractive price..

Currently:

The Motorcraft just when up to almost $17 a jug (I don't think it is synthetic or synthetic blend). Which make the oil for an oil change 3 (5qt Jugs) x $17 + 7% Tax = $55 for oil.... the filter is still $22...

But the DELO is $10 a gallon.... so that makes it 4 (4qt Jugs) x $10 + 7% tax = $43

SO
$77 for Motorcraft oil and filter
$65 for Delo and Motorcraft filter....

I will buy the Motorcraft if it is that much better than the Delo...... but for $8 difference, and have leftovers......

My truck does not use any oil... so I do not "need" the spare oil.... I do use it in my IH Cub Cadet so it does not go to waste.....

Before, Motorcraft was ~$12 a 5 qt jug, and is now ~$17, have they switched it to a semi-synthetic or a synthetic.... the Synthetic Rotella is only ~$20 a gallon...... if they have not changed or improved the oil, any idea why the price increase.....

Would DELO be good to run, or should I stick with Motorcraft since the truck seems to be happy with it..... it did not care for Rotella dino....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott.. I saw something a week or two ago... where ALL Dino oil is going up.. for some BS reason.:dunno

But.. I used Delo 15/40 Dino for Years in my diesels.. with No problems at all.

When I went to a Full Syn.. I went to the Rotella T6, cuz of what i've read & learned here on SDD.

So far, so good. My 7.3 seems to start/run better.

I'm also hearing that Synthetic oil pricing may stay somewhat more stable ?

Joe

Wouldn't be surprised if Delo dino prices go up too ?

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

Thanks. With the 6.0 it is so hard on the oil.... going with a full synthetic really doesn't give you the extended change intervals that alot of people use syn. for. The 6.0 shears the oil so bad, it still needs to be changed at the ~5000 mile mark from what I have read. Keeping the cost down is one reason that I have stayed with the dino oil.... but if it is going to get close to the same price as syn. I might as well switch and have a better oil, and less oil related issues (such as stiction) which I am having now that my oil is getting old and needs changed... Might just bite the bullet and switch....

The syn Rotella is still a good oil, correct.... I know that some guys have seen an increased consumption with the dino version.....

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is Fords new deal and yes the 6.0 shears the oil and even with a by-pass and running Amsoil 5w40 i still change mine at 5000 miles and send in my oil samples the reason is it pulls my 5er 95% of the time so it works hard my 97 is the grocery getter plus use only Ford or Racor filters.
SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil
2 stroker

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
2 stroker

This is the oil that I have been using. I will have to look closer when I am at the store again, as they may have started carrying the synthetic. This oil had been running ~$12 a jug and being 5 qts, I only needed to buy 3. If what I saw the other night is the synthetic for ~$17 a 5 qt jug, I do not have a problem with it. But I think it is the same old dino oil, that increased in price.... if that is the case.. I may jut bite the bullet and start running synthetic...... I think it the long run the truck will be happier anyway.... and it is my winter DD and sits outside unplugged at work... so it would start easier..... and not have some of the other oil related issues....

Thank you!!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being an Ol' Guy (;)) I had trouble (still do at times) with even.. multi grade oils... let alone anything Synthetic (fake :sly).

When I finally convinced myself to go to Rotella T6.. I did it for the lubrication qualities.. not so much the OCI stuff.

I'm a 7.3 type.. the 6.0 is another issue. :dunno

Just one of those "things" yul halfta sort out ?

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing you have to be carefull with useing dino oil is coking
There are a couple of things you can do to protect the turbo from coking. use a fully synthetic it will protect better against deposits and resist thermal breakdown than a conventional mineral oil.
Secondly, you should let the vehicle run for awhile after to help cool the oil down a bit down to around 350*
Lastly, you need to be careful you do not overextend oil change intervals max 5000 miles.
2 stroker

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
2 Stroker,

I had planned on keeping a 5k interval even with syn, and I have always made sure to let the truck cool down before I shut it down..... I never "put it away wet".....

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back to the top with a question.....

Does anyone have any experience with the Traveller from TSC, or the Country Tough form Orscheln Farm stores.... I have read the Traveller from Tractor Supply has good numbers, similar the to the Super-Tech brand from Wally-World.....

Has anyone used these paticular oils..... Right now, Orscheln has 2 gal of 15W-40 Country Tough for $20..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track