Diesel Exhaust Fluid

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had to have an exhaust fluid tank heater and hardware replaced? Cost @ Ford delership - $780 CAD.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can get the heater at a good auto parts store, like Napa Auto Parts. I saw them in Canada last summer when I was up there, I think.

Dave ;tu

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to know where. I did some research today and couldn't locate any suppliers. Even Ford here in Calgary had to order it in.
I can't afford to have the truck down so have authorized Ford to repair it, but will be doing some research for a supply source in case it happens again.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here is what I found out about your DEF and freezing. I found this on Google.com From what I am reading you don't need a heated tank. Sounds like
you are being charged $780 bucks for something you don't need.
Q. When will DEF freeze ? A. This 32.5% solution will begin to freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. Unthawing will not cause harm to the product.

Q. How much does DEF weigh? A. Approximately 9 pounds per gallon.

Q. How do I keep the DEF from freezing in the tank of a Truck? A. SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shut down, start up and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. The SCR heating system is designed to quickly return the DEF to liquid form.

rlaspinall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very interesting. If that is the case, then I wonder why they have a heater. I have already given them the green light to proceed, but should it happen again, I will definetely be considering your research. Do you mind sending me the google link where you located that information? Thanks very much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track