DOA

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First the wifes Jeep (had to trailer it to the dealer, squirrls under the hood) then the daughters Ranger (tranny rebuild, radiator replace, new transfer case shift motor) and now me...fueled up last night and headed for the freeway and just as I was hitting the on ramp it started missing and bucking and generally running like crap. Got pulled over and it was pumping blue smoke out the tail pipe so much you couldn't hardly see across the road. I'm surprised the EPA didn't fine me...all this in the last month and a half.

Anyway it killed itself and won't start. I haven't pulled any codes yet but I know by the time I get back home tonight it'll be raining again and I don't have a garage to work in. I'm open for ideas...

Thanks guys
Ron

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rookie said:
First the wifes Jeep (had to trailer it to the dealer, squirrls under the hood) then the daughters Ranger (tranny rebuild, radiator replace, new transfer case shift motor) and now me...fueled up last night and headed for the freeway and just as I was hitting the on ramp it started missing and bucking and generally running like crap. Got pulled over and it was pumping blue smoke out the tail pipe so much you couldn't hardly see across the road. I'm surprised the EPA didn't fine me...all this in the last month and a half.

Anyway it killed itself and won't start. I haven't pulled any codes yet but I know by the time I get back home tonight it'll be raining again and I don't have a garage to work in. I'm open for ideas...

Thanks guys
Ron

This could be a silly question, but are you absolutely positive you used the green handle at the pump? IIRC, trying to burn gasoline in a diesel will give the same symptoms you just described. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I dunno? Im grasping at straws, something sounds like it dumped a load of oil in the cylinders though?

THE_ALASKAN

Diesel Freak
Reaction score
First thing to do is remove your filter cap to see if your fuel is still clear in the filter bowl, if it's very dark you have a bad middle O-ring, if you were pouring white smoke I'd say its a lower o-ring.
JIM

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, I'm positive it was the green pump. It happened to fast that I don't think any of the fresh fuel would have hit the engine yet. I'm talking a mile and a half and I was pulled over and parked. Dumped a good stream out of the fuel bowl and it looked clear no water. I knew I had to fix the injector/gp harnesses, I have the gaskets, connectors and repair tips for the job. Do you think it could of shorted out the injectors? I keep coming back to them and I've thought of the o-rings also. The smoke had a heavy diesel smell. It was so heavy it would burn your eyes. Kind of like the first startup on a real cold morning. I checked the oil (first thing) and it was up and the color looked good. I'm hoping to have some codes in the morning. Maybe I'll have some answers then.

Thanks again
Ron

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
One mile is all it takes for bad fuel/gas to reach the injectors.

Saw it happen simultaneously to a T444E and a T466E one mile from a station that had bad diesel.

Tbar

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Rookie said:
I'm positive it was the green pump.
Don't rule out getting the wrong fuel yet. The guy filling the tanks might have put gas in the Diesel tank. You should be able to smell it in the filter housing if it is gas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58