Door Latch Adjustment

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver's door rattles quite a bit, noise coming from about ear level on the driver's side. Window up or down. When I slam the door shut, it doesn't grab like the other 3 doors do, it sounds kinda weak. Is this adjustable in the latch? I drive allot of dirt roads, fields, and get in and out quite a bit, I know I'm hard on doors, all our pickups have door issues, but how and where do I go about adjusting it without making it worse?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver's door rattles quite a bit, noise coming from about ear level on the driver's side. Window up or down. When I slam the door shut, it doesn't grab like the other 3 doors do, it sounds kinda weak. Is this adjustable in the latch? I drive allot of dirt roads, fields, and get in and out quite a bit, I know I'm hard on doors, all our pickups have door issues, but how and where do I go about adjusting it without making it worse?

The latches are adjustable, both from the body and door sides but... Sometimes, the door weather seal simply looses its shape or resilience from time and wear.

You might do a Search for the "Door Seal Mod".. there's a couple of different methods of restoring the weather seal's shape.. (or making it seal even better) by inserting Vinyl tubing, or Cording.. into the Weather Seal itself.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen the hose in the strip, but don't think that's the fix here. The door doesn't shut with a thud like the rest do, more a hollow, not tight sound.

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can adjust the striker on the post a bit to get it tighter, could be weatherstrips but it all depends on how you use your door, do you hang on it getting in and out? r u a small guy? big guy? alot of factors come into this, the latch on the door is not adjustable unless you own a dremel, lol...if you have to move the striker on the post, only loosen the stiker ever so slightly and tap it inwards with a hammer...tighten and try, take baby steps cause if you go to much you'll be starting from scratch, good luck!!!;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The door should line up with the body panels. Then you can fill or replace the weather strip to seal the door.

Dave

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll look at the strips more seriously. I am a skinny 6'5", but with that, it's pretty easy to get in the truck without leaning on the door too much. I don't even have the running boards on there, hit my shins on those one too many times.

Yes, I was trying to avoid the starting from scratch adjustment procedures....

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Don't forget to check the hinges out , dirt roads and lots of use can be hard on hinge pins. If the pins are loose the door won't line up with the striker and it will actually bounce up onto it instead of latching around it, usually this keeps the door from closing all the way "solid". If the pins are tight, and the weatherstripping is tight then you should be good to go to adjust the striker,but I always do that last, because it was put in the place it is in from the factory for a reason. And don't forget, it used to close good with the striker in that position berfore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58