Double DIN install kit...02 superduty opening the same as 04?

kjdavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 F350 and am putting in a double DIN DVD/Nav unit....the install kits ive been finding say 04+ Ford. Are the openings the same? Here's the one I found on Ebay...they may be referring to the F150 though by saying 04+.

Doube DIN install kit

Any other places have them? My buddy just had Car Toys install a Kenwood double din in his 99...the install kit looks real clean, almost factory.

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
the radio opening on your model truck is more like 1.5 din, not a true double din. (if it's the same as an 01) but it's not a big deal to install a double din. I have the kenwood ddx6019, just take some careful trimming of the radio opening in the front dash piece. the opening behind the front trim is big enough already.

kjdavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the radio opening on your model truck is more like 1.5 din, not a true double din. (if it's the same as an 01) but it's not a big deal to install a double din. I have the kenwood ddx6019, just take some careful trimming of the radio opening in the front dash piece. the opening behind the front trim is big enough already.

No install bezel required? My opening looks the same as my buddies 99...he had the kenwood DNX7100 installed with a bezel around it to fill the space. The Kenwood is double din unit...so i guess im a little confused.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No install bezel required? My opening looks the same as my buddies 99...he had the kenwood DNX7100 installed with a bezel around it to fill the space. The Kenwood is double din unit...so i guess im a little confused.

the 99-04 is din-and-a-half not DOUBLE DIN.

you can install double din units but you have to trim the dash
bezel.

heres proof its not double din (see the small useless pocket left
over when installing a std SINGLE DIN unit) -->

Pioneer-DEH-P-980BT-2.jpg

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<hijack>

what is in your power outlet? volt meter?

did that pad in the cubby next to the adjustable pedal switch come with your truck? looks like it did. mine doesn't have that, and any time i keep stuff in there, my dptuner makes it fall back out :(

</hijack>

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<hijack>

what is in your power outlet? volt meter?

did that pad in the cubby next to the adjustable pedal switch come with your truck? looks like it did. mine doesn't have that, and any time i keep stuff in there, my dptuner makes it fall back out :(

</hijack>

yup...voltmeter <cyberdyne> plug in version....good for monitoring
the condition of the batteries (when not running) or the output of
the alternator (when running).

the pad came from an excursion...and it is NICE, keeps crap from
sliding and it fits perfectly...you can cut a bit of that no-slip <under
rug> material and put it in there...thats what ive used in the past.

nice thing 'bout this rubber insert is that it has a lip on it...almost
like a shallow bowl....so anything that falls deep into the pocket/cubby
can be pulled out by pulling the rubber pad out.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres what a DOUBLE din looks like in the 99-04 trucks....

ga_3640_full.jpg

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so where's the trimming? the top of the opening is level with the air vents in both pics, bottom doesn't have anywhere to go...right? or my eyes tricking me

Last edited:

kjdavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what I was wanting. I know that these trucks arent double din, I know there is SOME trimming to be done. However, does the trim ring around the DVD unit in the double din pic you posted usually come with the unit, or is that seperate?

Im looking at either the Panasonic NVD905U or Kenwood DNX7100. Any suggestions as to what would be better? I like the price of the panasonic, but the Kenwood is HD radio/TV tuner ready, and comes with a remote. It uses Garmin software, where the panasonic...?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr