DPF Cleaning

`08 Blue Crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I do not do a lot of highway driving. Better than 90% of my driving is is on local roads complete with traffic lights an stop signs.

I have seen my Cleaning Exhaust Filter message come on a few times but it doesn't get to finish the cycle. After a while the Check Engine light came on. On Saturday I was going into town so I was on the Interstate. The Cleaning Exhaust Filter message came on and eventually finished cleaning. After restarting the engine (leaving the store) the Check Engine light stayed off.

I can only assume the Check Engine light came on because the filter was getting clogged.

That was about a month ago. The last 2 weeks I have seen the Cleaning message a few times, but again could not finish due to being in town. Now the Check Engine light is on again. I drove 40 miles down the Interstate last evening, turned around a drove back hoping to get it cleaned. That is 80 miles out of my way. Nope. Roughly 5 gallons ($ 20) of fuel wasted. Never went into the cycle, and the Check Engine light is remains on.

Is there a way one can manually trigger this cleaning event so I can force it to go thru the cycle? I don't feel like wasting a bunch of fuel (@ 4.00/gallon) just to get it to clean itself.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I do not know of a way to trigger the cleaning process. I can tell you that diesel trucks don't make good town vehicles. They are meant to be driven and driven hard. They must get up to operating temperatures every trip (no trips to 7-11) to operate at their best. You may have bought the wrong vehicle. :dunno

Dave :)

`08 Blue Crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fulltime RV'er and pull an 18,000 pound trailer. I m planning on a purchase of a 21K trailer soon. This is why I bought this truck. But I don't pull that trailer every day. In fact I usually setup and stay a few months wherever I am at. Last year I drove it a lot while setup, including Interstate driving. But this year, with the cost of fuel, I don't just go out driving for the heck of it; I consolidate my trips.

I didn't think there was a way to manually trigger the cleaning process, but thought I would ask. BTW - that was my original question, not did I buy the right truck. I know I bought the right truck. So I guess I'll drive the Interstate today until it cleans itself.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I now think you DID buy the correct truck. Sorry if I offended you and your choice. That was not my intention. I am merely pointing out that the truck needs to be driven and driven hard to perform at its best.

Dave

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue there two types of cleaning on this system. One is a hard cleaning and you will get a message saying keep driving or something like that. Then there's one at cleans every few tank fulls. There is a update recall. Have you had it done?

`08 Blue Crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen - no offense taken.

Dogman - thanks for the info. It is going in soon for an oil change, I'll ask about the update. I have received no notification of an upgrade. I would prefer to have it done while I am still in Texas (I have found a great truck dealership here).

I drove to San Antonio yesterday and the cleaning cycle completed. When I started the truck to go home, the Check Engine light was off. I guess I'll have to drive the interstate every other week or so.

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't forget the moisture that builds up in the charge pipe system on the intercooler system, also from the short trips. i drive a bit in town also but take it out and run it. had the same thing with the regen coming on and not finishing, don't have the problem now and am glade the oil deluition and the extra heat are gone.

`08 Blue Crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two weeks ago we put on about 150 miles, mostly interstate. I saw it go thru the DPF cleaning cycle and complete. A while later the CE light came on again. So off to the dealer it went.

Long story short, there was a bad sensor erratically sensing the DPF was dirty. That is what the dealer told me. But it hasn't happened again, and was covered so :dunno

Oh yea, i always run it up to operating temperature. I never make trips so short that it wouldn't.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64