dpf removal & exhaust

JEllison

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 F350 SW and have been reading a little on upgrades. Sounds like the Spartan Programmer is the way to go as well as a AFE Cold Air Intake. I'm still undecided about exhaust systems. I think the dpf needs to be removed to get true power gains as well as added mpg with this combination. I understand all these companies that sell the dpf removal pipe make you sign a waiver stating this will be used for "off road use only." I know that nobody buying these removal pipes are going to use their $60k tow rigs for off road use only. My question is what are the chances of getting pulled over by the highway police or ticketed for having the dpf removed? I live in Arkansas and will be pulling a horse trailer to the surrounding states. Also any suggestions to a exhaust system would be helpful.

Last edited:

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
I would just buy the whole kit from spartan...but i dont really think that youwould have an issue with being pulled over and a trooper crawling down to look underneath the truck and go we sh@t you dont have a dpf haha i think that its more in the future when we have to get smog tested and legally they cant pass you for inspection (i dont think) but you can always find a place

HoustonRider

where are my KINGS?
Reaction score
I bought one and I didn't sign sh*t...lol

with the DPF/CAT delete pipe, it almost sounds stock, so unless you've got troopers with sticks up their butts and are willing to pull you over just to check your pipes, then I would worry about other things.

there's no way for them to tell, unless you tell them yourself :)

JEllison

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I talked with Spartan today and now am thinking about buying their AFE 4" free flowing exhaust. If I do this I will not have to buy their dpf/cat delete pipe. I just dont want my stock exhaust limiting the full potential hp. I'm concerned with the straight pipe being too loud, since it will not have a muffler. I dont want to hear it roaring down the road on a 8 hour trip. Also, do you guys think not having a cat will make the truck smell like fumes any worse than what it already does?

Last edited:

mick1955

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 F350 SW and have been reading a little on upgrades. Sounds like the Spartan Programmer is the way to go as well as a AFE Cold Air Intake. I'm still undecided about exhaust systems. I think the dpf needs to be removed to get true power gains as well as added mpg with this combination. I understand all these companies that sell the dpf removal pipe make you sign a waiver stating this will be used for "off road use only." I know that nobody buying these removal pipes are going to use their $60k tow rigs for off road use only. My question is what are the chances of getting pulled over by the highway police or ticketed for having the dpf removed? I live in Arkansas and will be pulling a horse trailer to the surrounding states. Also any suggestions to a exhaust system would be helpful.

It all depends on the state you live in and how you drive the truck. If you drive normal you won't see much smoke. If you drive like some young kid and run the crap out of it it's going to smoke. I know in Texas before I moved here I got my truck inspected with everything removed. Never have been pulled over in any state so far and I've made 2 trips back to Texas so far. I've towed a little over 32,000 with the 210 tune. It will smoke some as you getting up to speed, but nothing major unless you press the peddle to the floor. If I were you I would go with a dpf, or a cat/dpf delete. It's much easier to remove the cat/dpf as an assembly and to purchase new sensors than removing just the dpf. The gasket between the two is around $68.00 if you find it for a good price.... We have people in Arkansas running tunes. If you want me to have one of them contact you I think I could help you out in that area. Send me a pm with your email address, or email [email protected]

MorePowerMike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you are really worried about it, buy a replacement dpf pipe from ford. Store this one for when you need to pass smog or get warrenty work done. Then take your original one and gut it.

HoustonRider

where are my KINGS?
Reaction score
I was worried about the sound too.

I didn't notice a difference in sound at all, unless I rolled down the windows.. and only then it was just a little higher pitched. not like trucks with dual exhaust that you can hear for a mile ahead of you.

Driving down the road at 70 mph, its just as quiet as stock. not even a slight bit louder.

If you have any issues and you need to take it in for service, just replace the OEM pipe. It may take an hour, but its cheaper than voiding the warranty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58