Driveline noise

JohnDeereRanger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 PSD 4x4 crew Cab long Bed with a 6 spd. When starting underload or hard acceleration I get some crazy sound coming from underneath the truck. And it sounds like it is comming from the middle of the truck (middle in referance to the front to rear of the truck). This sound is like some thing is rubbing each other. And it speeds up as i speed up. It's like a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnd, grrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnnnd, grrrrriiiinnnnd, grrriiinnd, griinnd, grind. ANY CLUE... When I tow the sound is even worse. I put a new hanger bearing on and the noise is still there. If i'm babying it around it doesnt really make the noise. Getting on it hard will generally make the noise. But not ALWAYS. just most of the time.

I changed the rear end dope and put the synthetic back in and put limited slip additive from ford in it. I'm wondering if yall got any ideas.... my only other thought is the U-joints in the drive shaft.

:confused:

Thanx ahead of time.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
JohnDeereRanger said:
I have a 2002 PSD 4x4 crew Cab long Bed with a 6 spd. When starting underload or hard acceleration I get some crazy sound coming from underneath the truck. And it sounds like it is comming from the middle of the truck (middle in referance to the front to rear of the truck). This sound is like some thing is rubbing each other. And it speeds up as i speed up. It's like a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnd, grrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnnnd, grrrrriiiinnnnd, grrriiinnd, griinnd, grind. ANY CLUE... When I tow the sound is even worse. I put a new hanger bearing on and the noise is still there. If i'm babying it around it doesnt really make the noise. Getting on it hard will generally make the noise. But not ALWAYS. just most of the time.

I changed the rear end dope and put the synthetic back in and put limited slip additive from ford in it. I'm wondering if yall got any ideas.... my only other thought is the U-joints in the drive shaft.

:confused:

Thanx ahead of time.

Have you checked the transmission/transfer case mounts real close? They may be broken but look okay with no load on them, there should still signs of rubbing though. Another more heinous possibility is that your transmission is cracked. I was under the BILs truck which he bought used and noticed that the rear end of his tranny was welded up like it had broken at some time. Hopefully that is not your problem. How many miles? It could be the U-joints also but I would think if they are hosed enough to make a bunch of noise it would be obvious looking at them and it would not die down as you got going. You could drive it around awhile and then stop and see of any of them feel hot.

JohnDeereRanger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
75000 miles, i'll look at the mounts ... but how would the mounts make noise..

the noise sounds as though something is rotating......

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
Carrier Bearing?

Nevermind I see you already replaced that. T-case or Tranny is the next step if your sure it is in the middle of the truck

Last edited:

JohnDeereRanger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:
Carrier Bearing?

Nevermind I see you already replaced that. T-case or Tranny is the next step if your sure it is in the middle of the truck

Tranny or Tcase being bad or just the mounts or .........

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
JohnDeereRanger said:
75000 miles, i'll look at the mounts ... but how would the mounts make noise..

the noise sounds as though something is rotating......

Mounts can make all kinds of weird noises if they are bad. If it is not that and not the driveshaft, then you could have problemd in the tranny or transfer case and that is no fun.

JohnDeereRanger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what if the sounds is more of a squeaking.... than a grinding.......and it's not a continuous sound its like it only happens during one point of a revolution.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58