"dropping" rear tank

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
ok, what, exactly, would be involved in lowering, even partially, my rear tank so that I can easily get to and clean the fuel level sending unit wire connections? I have run my rear tank roughly 200 miles so it should be under 1/4.

If I can't easily lower it, how does the connection work and could I simply leave the tank where it is but safely disconnect the wires in order to clean them?

Im kind of tired of reading 200% full all the time.

Thanks!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
My front tank was partially dropped after my installation last year. The sender was not installed correctly and it would stick at over full no matter how filled the tank was. They put it on the rack and lifted it. They used two screw thread tranny stands and blocks of wood to support it and gently lowered the front half more than the rear. Then my mechanic was able to gently rotate the sender. The problem was the float was stuck up :lmao (no pun intended). I strongly believe you have the same problem so IMO cleaning the wires is not gonna fix anything. Study THIS.

I really think you should give the shop who cleaned your tank a call. They should make it right!

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
you will need fuel line disconnect tools if you are going to drop it all the way, but you can drop the back down almost all the way and the front will "hang" (although i dont recommend pulling too hard on the lines) from the fuel lines. at that point you should be able to easily play with wires, or even spin the sender.

one problem you may encounter (i did)......is the tow hitch. im not sure about other hitches, but my class 5 is too big and blocks the tank from dropping, so i needed to remove the hitch.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I agree Richard but that shop is 360 miles away. It worked for a couple of months after my work was done. It's just an annoyance at the moment. I suppose I can just keep doing what I did this time around - fill it and then switch tanks after 200 miles. No risk of running out then. I just dont like it when things do not work correctly.

Zookie, I have a ranchhand rear bumper with integrated receiver hitch. I suspect I will have a similar issue as you did. I may just have to take it to another shop locally.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Peter I could come by early Sunday morning to drop the tank,just need a floor jack and some wood to stack on it for balancing the tank when lowering it.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Thanks Bill but I might have to work tomorrow. May be going to trial for 8 days in very near future. No sleep or weekends for me if so...

If I dont have to go in I may give you a call.

I appreciate it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14