Dual alternators ?

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2k has the dual alternator ambulance/plow package.At 80k they were both replaced and now at 210k it seems they have quit again.It has never been explained to me just how the two alternators work (together) but it seems that when one dies,so goes the other.They LOOK like just regular ford alternators and when they were replaced the first time I was told that what happens is that the cheap unfinished stators start to rust with age,and as they rust they grow,thus scrapping the windings and ultimately causeing failure.So,are they just regular ford alternators,or are they special? The parts people up here never heard of a "dual alternator package".I still need to try NAPA,but my curiosity says I need to know!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, I looked at RockAuto.com. If I am reading their page right it's the same alternator unless it's for a ambulance package. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Doug

john griffin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 8 different alternaters for the truck.Anything with dual alts the upper and lower are different.Plow pkg are different. ambulance are different and have 3 different combinations.There are only 2 different regulaters though.You need the old ones to compare #'s and then order what should fit.I dont have time for this.Its going to snow sat (a lot) and my plow is still hanging up in the hay barn and the main push bracket on the truck is broken and needs to be welded back on the frame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58