Question Dually conversion

Discussion in '7.3L PowerStroke Power & Performance' started by seabee15, Jun 1, 2017.

1. seabee15

seabee15 SDD Junior Member

So I want to convert my truck to a dually. 2001 4dr short bed 7.3 leveled with BFG 315/75 on 16's. My plan is:

get 16" dually wheels ( so I can use my 35's)
    Purchase 2 new BFG 315/75
    Purchase front dually spacers
    Purchase either a short dually bed ( which is almost impossible)
    -or-
    Purchase 2 dually fenders

What do you guys think? Would I need spacers in the back to run my 35's? Also where is the best place to get affordable wheels, front spacers and dually fenders?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. DaveBen

DaveBen SDD Senior Member

No, you will need to find another rear end or decrease the width. By how much I don't know right now. Better start lookin for a dually rear end

3. snicklas

snicklas Super Moderator Staff Member

Dave is correct... the SWR and DWR trucks use the same front axle, but have the dually adapters to allow the use of a single dually wheel on the front locating the wheel in the proper location under the truck...

[​IMG]

A dually that left the factory with a pickup box from the factory, uses a completely different axle than the SWR trucks. (Actually there a 3 different axles, a Cab & Chassis axle that could be SWR or DWR, a SWR axle that had a pickup box from the factory, and the dually axle that had a pickup box from the factory.)

There is something like 6" difference in length between a DWR and SWR axle, a dually axle is ~72" wide, and a SWR is ~66" wide.........

Yes they do make adapters.... many have run them for years.... but if I were going to do a conversion.... I would get the correct axle.....

DaveBen likes this.
  4. bens170

bens170 SDD Junior Member

Check out LMC trucks out of Kansas for the dually fender extensions and Arrowcraft for the wheels and spacer conversion. Google search srw to dually conversion kits.

5. u2slow

u2slow Electrician

What are you hoping to gain? It doesn't change the truck's GVWR, and two of those 315/75R16E tires will support the DRW-equivalent payload.