Help Needed DVD Headset & 17" Flip Down Monitor Install

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the process of replacing the old factory unit from my 99 super duty with a Double din dvd indash headset and a 17" LCD 16:9 COLOR CAR FLIP DOWN MONITOR for the kids in the back. Just wondering if anybody in here has done this install and how hard would it be to install the lcd monitor?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I haven't attempted an overhead display install but would offer idea's and help with the upgrade.

Which overhead display did you purchase?

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking at some on eBay. $300 gets you a 7"GPS NAVI 2 DIN DOUBLE IN DASH CAR DVD PLAYER IPOD TOUCH SCREEN and the overhead im looking in getting is 17" 16.9 Color LCD for around $300 also WOW. I did not know the factory radio was a din and a half. If a double din fits Its going in LOL. I know I can do the radio install and all the electrical connections, Im worried about messing up my headrest.

Wagonized

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
installing a double din is quite easy..pretty simply just an iso mount. Get your wiring harness done, antenna hooked up, possibly rcas and remote wires hooked up if you plan on running aftermarket amps...then use some plumbers strapping and super shallow screws that come with your head unit to mount the HU itself to the plastic air tubing for the vent above the HU.

took me about 30 min total for the install. super easy, no cutting or trimming at all

id stay away from the cheap ass double dins on ebay tho...stick with a good name brand. Pioneer, kenwood, eclipse, alpine etc. I personally run a Pioneer avic-z2 which also has an internal vehicle dynamics processor which can tell me speed, gforces (lateral or acceleration), slope, thru an internal gyro and GPS. Since my truck is on 44s (soon to be bigger) theres no way to have my speedo corrected so this GPS speedo on my deck is a great help.

As for the screen it will probably mount quite easily where your rear dome light is..unless ur trying to put it in the front in which case I recommend rivetting a piece of steel thats custom bent to the arch of your roof from the middle roof brace to the front and mounting the screen to that. Thats what I did on a previous install with great results.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58