E350 leaking coolant - remove motor?

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Friend has a 2001 E350 w/ 235K miles on it. Recently exhibited a coolant leak that looked to be coming from the inspection cover but now it seems to be coming from the from of the motor. A couple of local shops / dealers basically say to remove the motor and replace water pump / front timing belt cover gasket,etc. If he has to remove the motor, his thought was to replace the head gaskets simply because the motor is out as well as the water pump. Rear main seal will get replaced as well since it has a minor leak. He intends on using the van for another 80K miles, if there is any other general maintenance items to remove and replace while the engine is out would be appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions where it could be leaking from and if it could be fixed from not pulling the motor, that would be helpful as well.
thanks
scott

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
I can't imagine having to pull motor to to change water pump. I've done 2, on a truck and an excursion and not needed too. I didn't think things were that tight on the vans!

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you talking 7.3 power stoke?? i ask cause we dont have timing belts or chains....its all gear drive..i think pulling the rad. to get to the pump would be better..if it is a 7.3....do not pull the heads if you dont have to..it will just give you more problems down the road...them heads dont like to be pulled from the motor...

shelby69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Coolant leak on E350 2001 7.3L Turbo

Yes, the motor in a 2001 E350 is a 7.3L turbo.

If you ever want to say wow, check one out - they shoe horn that motor in there - amazing how tight everything is.

I just called him and he found a local guy that is fairly sure it is the water pump along with two filler necks. All can be fixed without pulling the motor therefore he will not mess with the heads which is what the local guy stated as well.

Thanks for respones - hopefully the local guy can get it fixed for less than the dealership who wanted to yank his chain by yanking the motor.

SAS

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats nuts. Pull the front end off and it's all sitting right there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr