Early '95 radiator cap pressure

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of you guys with '94s & early '95 trucks with a radiator cap actually on the radiator what pressure is your radiator cap?

Mine's leaking and once again the parts houses try to give me the one to fit on a degas bottle which I don't have. When I bought my truck it had a 16psi motorcraft cap on it which is long gone. When I've told the parts stores (napa, autozone, advance) that I want one for a '94 they hand me a 7psi cap which seems odd since the degas bottle caps are upper teens if memory serves me right.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 16 also, has a number RS-90 (motorcraft) on the cap, if that helps any...

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got trucks at both ends of the OBS spectrum and both are 16 psi caps (obviously different as the 94 has the regular cap with expansion tank and the 97 has the degas bottle). Cheers!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I thought it was a 16 psi cap which is why the 7psi is still sitting on their shelf.

Guess I'll stop by the Ford dealer and get one from them, to have a cap start leaking at the spring attachment in 4 years and not too many miles is utter malarkey so I'll go back with the genuine part which shouldn't leak for another 10 years.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the saga continues,

Stop by one of the local ford dealers on the way home and tell him I want a radiator cap for a '95 F350 with the 7.3, when he gets it pulled up and tells me a price I tell him that he didn't ask a question I was expecting, the build date, since there is a radiator change mid year. I proceed to explain the difference in rad cap and one on the degas bottle, well he says I pulled the one that does not say degas in the description. Well that's good let's see the part, of which they only had 1 in stock, so when he returns low and behold we have a degas bottle cap. Further checking provides that the part number in the computer that said degas bottle was superseded by the other part number giving you the same part either way.

I pulled out the phone and pulled up this thread and asked if it would be beneficial if I could tell him that a friend has a cap on his that says MS-90 on it. He pulls up the part number and says well that fits 1/2 the world but there are no applications listed for an F-series. They didn't have one in stock so it's due to show up today and we'll see. Even if it fits I am curious as to why there even the dealer can't come up with the right part.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64