photos EGR and Oil Cooler Replacement in Pictures

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I started the teardown this week and here are pictures from work thru the Night of October 20th. I started earlier in the week removing the Batteries, charge pipes, Alternator, plastic anything and pulling the wiring harness up out of the way. When I couldnt break the right turbo bolt, I figured I would wait until the mechanis could get to the house today (Saturday Oct 20) to remove anything else. I wanted to delete the EGR but he didnt recommend deleting anything as it may cause resale problems later with the possibility of the CEL on. I am getting ready to order the part tonight online so hopefully they will be here by next Saturday for installation. Im going the Sinister route.

View attachment 12795View attachment 12796View attachment 12797View attachment 12798View attachment 12799View attachment 12800View attachment 12801View attachment 12802View attachment 12803View attachment 12804View attachment 12805View attachment 12806View attachment 12807

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EGR Valve Gummed up

Well I did a little more cleaning of the parts tonight in order to prepare for the reinstallation of the the parts once the new stuff comes in. I pulled the EGR Valve tonight and lookey what I found.

View attachment 12808

The gunk is kinda gooey greasy pastey. I assume that it can simply be cleaned using a solvent and a small brush without harming the valve?????

Does this mean the EGR cooler was OK and I'm replaceing the cooler for no reason?

Here is a look at the cooler fins.

View attachment 12809

View attachment 12810

The EGR cooler was semi-greasy pastey soot and not just a powdery soot.

Does this mean I was losing coolant thru the EGR cooler as presumed?
You experts that have been thru this before please tell me what you think?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can clean the EGR valve using solvent and a brush, but do not get the solvent into the domed part of the EGR valve. That is where the electronics are.

Dave :)

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. The clogged EGR valve would not have caused the coolant lose would it? Was the coolant lose responsible for the gooey oily soot coaking up the valve?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The EGR valve does not have water going through it. Only the EGR Cooler does. Over fueling would cause gooey oil soot. Do you have oil in the radiator? Is the oil in the crankcase normal?

Dave :)

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any moisture in the egr cooler? It looks dry in the pics. Other places to lose coolant? head gaskets. i have heard talk of flash boiling coolant in oil cooler, causing it to blow out of the degas. dont know if that is true or if its wishful thinking of people with head gasket problems. any coolant on the ground, in oil, or is it going to exhaust?

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EGR Cooler is not a powdery soot but is a greasy feeling soot. The Water has been puking back out of the degas bottle. There is no water in the oil and no oil in the radiator. I was to the point that I was not putting coolant into the system for the last month and was only putting distilled water. There was no water on the ground but I did see one puff of white smoke a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my cooler out it was WET and green. I had a cloud of steam out the exhaust so thick I was getting honked at. But, since you have been putting only water in, it could have simply dried up??? It would certainly dry faster than antifreeze. You could always rig up some hose clamps/ fittings and pressure test your cooler, probably the best way to know for sure what you are looking at. Hope its just a slower leak in egr cooler and restricted oil cooler.

Can your mechanic do head gaskets and studs? Since you are halfway there already on the teardown?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On going in the Powerstroke Surgical Ward and So are the Days of Our Lives

Welll tonight I decided I would try to determine if I needed to do head gaskets or if mine were OK. I believe that my head gaskets are ok. I've never ran a tuner, never even been a goose neck or 5er hitch mounted in the truck and the only pulling I have done is my 16 ft trailer and farm tractor about 15 miles at a time. That may be why I'm all chocked full of carbon gunk buildup.Look at the pictures below.

The yellow coolant is just that, pure and yellow coolant. No oil etc.... There is an oil leak on top near the back of the engine next to the firewall. See Pictures. "Most owners who discover oil under their Super Dutys especially 2003 models often assume the worst, when in reality it's a failed injection control pressure sensor (ICP), which is located under the turbo at the rear of the engine valley." I believe it is the ICP sensor or leaking valve covers as the oil comes from above the head gasket line. Tell me if you disagree on this???? I believe I should see if it is the ICP sensor or valve cover gaskets while I've got it stripped down this far. I believe there are only a couple of dozen more bolts to remove to get the covers off. I have also attached a picture of the EGR valve being cleaned as it sets in a glass of seafoam fuel injector / carbon cleaner. Rotate it right 90 degrees as it is not really sitting on the wall. It came out nice and clean like a new one would look. Picked up the new orings and gasket for it today from Ford. I also drained the coolant from the block tonight. Had to take the starter off to drain the passenger side. Boy a Fumoto valve would be great in lieu of the block plugs.

Here are a few questions for tonight's post:

I have cleaned on the intake manifold but it is really gunked up with carbon. It is a pastey smearry oily gooey (get my drift on the description). I would like to have the intake manifold cleaned/boiled out to get rid of the crap inside. Because it is cast aluminum, can it be boiled out?

I have to be out of town for a few days and thought that I would carry it by a Parts house that washed engine blocks to see if they could do it. Does the stealership boil them out when they do this work? Would it be to my advantage to do this or am I just being wasteful to have this boiled out?

Does anyone have a picture of the ICP sensor or instructions on replacing the sensor?

Here are tonight's work pictures:

View attachment 12814View attachment 12815View attachment 12816View attachment 12817View attachment 12818View attachment 12819View attachment 12820View attachment 12821

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I hink about the oil leak, I believe the ICP sensor is going to be the problem as the oil has petty much leaked down both sides of the engine equally. That should be easier to fix rather than replacing valve cover gaskets????????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64