EGR problems at 60k?

eapoly

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On my 2012 f250 I George getting the CEL and the code P0401 low flow to the egr. With a little research I had an idea it was probably the egr plugged up so when it would come on I took it down the highway WOT and next time I start the truck up the CEL will be off. I finally got it in the shop and sure enough it was a plugged up egr, the truck has almost 60k miles on it. Why so soon??? Grant I do do the things that are known to plug them faster like leave it idle sometimes and don't pull anything heavy or take many road trips but I figured it would at least make it over 100k
c3d055efaa11c454454d505dc7a0e7b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You have a miss understanding of diesel trucks and engines. They are NOT grocery getters. They do not like short trips. and the love getting driven like you stole them. Take it out on the highway and get on it hard! Get it up to operating temperature. Do this once a week or more and this will help your clogged EGR valve. If this does not, consider selling your truck and getting a gas model. Hot weather is coming in Texas very soon and this will help.

Conglar

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do a Delete Kit...straight pipe and a tuner....your problems will be gone....more HP...better MPG...an NO DEF

There are plenty of threads on this subject...You Tube has a bunch of videos about it too...if you are mechanically inclined, you can do it all for less than $2000...
Unless you have an extended warranty and a lot of time....the problems will keep popping up once they start... and they will not be covered
Your situation is not uncommon...had the same thing happen on my '12 at 76,000 miles

Last edited:

eZAK61

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a Delete Kit...straight pipe and a tuner....your problems will be gone....more HP...better MPG...an NO DEF

Anyone reading this should know that this mod is illegal !!! If caught, seller, installer, and user could all face fines.

Conglar

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That last post is correct...that is the letter of the law....it also depends on where you live...if it is enforced...please show me the convictions of the folks that have done this...I am pretty certain based on the number of manufacturers producing these parts...there is little if any enforcement of these laws...If you have emissions testing where you live...this is not really an option for you...But there is a disclaimer that they all make..."For Off-Road use only".... ...."So...Yes I use mine Off-Road exclusively"...
Ford does not stand behind the product...but is more than Happy to take your money for repairs that will need to be made continuously because of a piss poor Design and Purpose. Failure of the Egr is just the first item that will begin your long list of problems that are going to happen ....My service writer at Ford told me that countless people tell him they are doing a delete kit once the Egr fails...this after he told me that I am looking at a $2500.00 + bill and I said I will be doing a delete kit...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58