EGR System Questions

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My check engine light has come on again. It is scheduled to go to the dealer Monday morning. I have no driveability issues.

I fear it may be the EGR valve again. The 3rd EGR was installed in my truck less than a month ago. The second one went in after a year of use.

I know the usual culprit of idling too much, but since my first EGR change I do not idle the truck. The first year of ownership I used to start it up in the winter and let it run for 10 to 15min befor driving. I have not done that since I had to replace the first EGR valve.

What other issues could cause this system to fail so much? Is it possible that the truck is running too rich? Too much fuel? EGT not high enough?

I am wondering if it is possible that something other than idling is causing this problem?

Thanks in advance:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Get on it. Drive it like you stole it. You have got to clean out the carbon. This is done by blowing it out the exhaust.

Dave

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Being from up North and it gets very cold that would make me think that would have something to do with it. I would just pull the wire plug off and be done with it. It may set the light but it will run better .

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing some research on this myself and found a huge thread on FTE related to EGR that I'm still reading. It started back in 2004 and is still going. Seems to have some really good info. Here are some of the main links. One of the best links is the one on disconnecting the EGR. Enjoy! :D

EGR SYSTEMS

Prevent EGR Plugging/Sticking:
Get the most recent flash (it eliminates EGR operation at extended idle)
Use good quality fuel and occaisionally "drive it like you stole it"
Minimize extended idling - especially at rpm's under 1200.
Synthetic oil and fuel additives may help prevent soot which can deposit on your turbo ( exhaust side).
Diesel Technician Society

Resolve EGR Plugging/Sticking:
Delete it:
Do it properly by blocking off flow entirely to EGR valve and cooler.
Some 2005 and up vehicles will throw a code that can only be cleared w/ a tuner.
Disconnect it:
If you just disconnect it, do it properly. Even if it is disconnected, pressures can force it open.
EGR Disconnect Instructions - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Clean it - Use Carb cleaner, not brake cleaner - keep the fluid out of the weep holes.
New o-ring. Clean EBP tube, MAP sensor hose & manifold opening.
Scary pics of my 11,000 mile-old EGR valve - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
EGR disconnect? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Replace it "in kind"

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get on it. Drive it like you stole it. You have got to clean out the carbon. This is done by blowing it out the exhaust.

Dave

Already do that. and 30 days for an EGR seems a little quick.

And thanks Randy H, much appreciated info. I wil go through it, and also ask the service dept. to reflash my pcm.

Thanksm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58