Electric fan conversion

LeeParsons

High tech redneck
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to someplace online that sells electric fan conversions for these trucks?

Thanks,
Lee

Max Power

Reaction score
I know flex-a-lite sells them for Diesels. Not sure about the 7.3's though. The problem will always be that electric fans can not move as much air as the engine driven fan.

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Go to a wreck yard and get a set of ford taurus electric fans, there have been a few on here that have done it and maybe they will chime in. But I know they more more then enough air for the 7.3, specially good in slow moving traffic for using the air conditioning. should be affordable too less then a new kit.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I installed a High volume pusher on the AC condensor (Flex-a-lite FLX-116) but wouldn't use it as an alternative to the stock fan clutch.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any Electric fans made by any vendors that can be used for primary cooling, besides those Flexalites?

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Unless your electric fan has a 25 horsepower motor on it, it will not move as much air as the stock fan.

It will probably work fine for traffic jams and the like, to keep your AC cold. Hook it up to a load, like these things are made to pull, and it just won't cut the mustard.

If you don't tow heavy with your truck, this is probably okay. if you do, I highly advise you don't do it.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
MUDWHISTLE said:
But I know they more more then enough air for the 7.3,
How do you know this? Have you tested them somehow? How can fans designed for low-load 4 and 6-cylinder engines possibly move enough air to keep a 1000 pound medium-duty v-8 diesel cool when it is at 100% load pulling a 10% grade on a 90-degree day?
specially good in slow moving traffic for using the air conditioning. should be affordable too less then a new kit.
Under these conditions, it is probably superior to the belt-driven fan, since it is probably on all the time. However, I just want to make sure that guys that tow big and heavy realize that Taurus fans probably won't get the job done.

Our belt-driven fan pulls 25 horsepower when it engages under high-heat situations. These fans from a Ford Taurus are probably two 1/3 HP electric motors, if even that. The difference in CFM moved between the two is HUGE!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
How do you know this? Have you tested them somehow?

There's several OBS guys running electrics. JOAT, THE_ALASKAN (drag racing), RickH maybe also. It can be done.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
There's several OBS guys running electrics. JOAT, THE_ALASKAN (drag racing), RickH maybe also. It can be done.
For a lot of guys, you could run without a fan at all and be fine. The cooling systems on these trucks are designed to cool, and do it very well. The electric fans would be a step up from this.

However, my statement hinged on one thing, which was putting the truck to work for extended, hard-towing/hauling on grades on hot days, etc. Drag racing does not do this. The truck idles for less than a minute, then runs flat out for 15 seconds or so, then shuts down. There isn't enough heat generated in 15 seconds to rate needing a cooling fan at all. I don't know any of the guys you just listed, but I'd be curious if any of them have put their truck to work with these e-fans, and could maybe chime in here. I do not have any practical experience with this setup, so their testimonials will mean more than my musings.

However, I'd be willing to bet that they don't use their trucks like I use mine. I run my truck as hard as THE_ALSKAN does drag racing for 30 minutes at a time pulling 22,000 pounds of cordwood, truck and trailer up a 10% grade. On a day with any kind of heat at all, the big belt driven fan is all that keeps me from overheating doing this sort of thing. I don't feel that an electric fan making 1/3 horsepower is going to keep up with that demand.

I agree that for probably 85% of the SD's on the road, e-fans or no fans at all would be totally sufficient, since many of them are commuter trucks that haul some sod on the weekends. My truck would sadly no longer be with us, I fear, if I were to run an e-fan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58