Electrical Issue

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last evening, went out to close the windows on the truck and found the batteries to be down, has happened when it is just started and shut off several times, like in and out of the garage, move to mow, etc, frustrating but not a surprise as it has not been driven any distance in several days. Grabbed the battery charger to charge the batteries back up so the I could close up the truck, and be able to start it today since it was going to be driven today. I had my other vehicle sitting in the drive next to the truck and it had just been driven, I have a slight oil leak because someone did not get the filter tight enough when they changed it a few days ago......:angel: so it has an oil smell to it right now....

When I popped the hood on the truck there was a hot rubber odor, which I dismised as the car, so I opened the hood on the car and it was a different odor. So I went back to the truck, lowered the hood for a moment, and then re-opened it, I did not notice anything until I moved to the passenger headlight/battery area and I noticed the odor again. I quickly unhooked both batteries and the smell went away. I connected the pass. side batter along with the charger long enough to close the windows, and the odor returned. I made sure all the connections to the batteries were removed + and - and tucked away so they would not make contact.

I know that Ford Trucks have been known to have wiring issues, but on the 6.0 SuperDuty / Excursion trucks is there anything "common" in this area to look for a problem? It was late and I went to bed and have not looked at it yet, but was wanting to see if I could get some "known problem area" to start and work from there......

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this happen to me on my 96 F250 7.3....it was the sensor on the master (dis-engages the cruise control when brakes are tapped) cylinder glowing red hot.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this happen to me on my 96 F250 7.3....it was the sensor on the master (dis-engages the cruise control when brakes are tapped) cylinder glowing red hot.

Check for a recall on your 2003 Excursion for this very thing. It is referred to as the speed control deactivation switch. try this link

Ford Fire Recall: Update on Ford Fire Recall

The recall was up through the 2003 model year Excursions.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recall was up through the 2003 model year Excursions.

Yea, but not anything older than a 99 model....my Ford mechanic that has his own personal chop told me that anyways. He said he doesnt know why they didnt do a recall for the OBS trucks because the only difference was one version had a pig tail wire and the other was straight:dunno

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK.. I will look and see if that is the issue, the thing I notice is the odor is on the pass side and the MC is on the drivers side.

I did not have a chance to look at it last night, got home and about 5 minutes later the sky opened up... maybe tonight, if I get home before dark....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64