Enclosed trailer rental?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company or someplace or someone (preferably in NE FL or reasonably close) that would rent an enclosed trailer?

I'm trying to figure out cost effective means of moving my GF from the Keys up here and not sure I'm willing to fork over $500 for a uhaul/penske truck and I do not think that uhaul's tandem axle trailer is large enough to fit all of her stuff, not to mention that's still $250 for 3 days. I'm only moving a 1 bedroom apt worth of stuff.

I have open trailers but would rather the enclosed over tarping the load for weather protection not to mention that I honestly expect to stop to sleep since we are likely not to get the truck/trailer loaded until around noon and I'm not driving 9-10 hours after loading for your safety along with my safety and sanity.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a place too. but had no luck. I ended up having to rent and drive a 18 wheeler to move awning down to hard rock in miami area and it still took two trips.

There is something you could do. Some of the frieght companys will drop a pup trailer off at the job you load and they drive it to were you want it and you unload it. Roadway, ABF do it.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Its called ABF U-Pack. Roadway is out. The other option is Mini-Moves. Do a search. They are cheap and pretty reliable. Moving sucks. I know. I've been in the moving business for 32 years. :D

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ABF won't touch it in the keys. and the PODS type storage & moving deals are not down there either.

We've decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and rent a truck from penske and a trailer to drag the car back with. Driving a car that''ll pull 30 MPG down there will save us around $100 in fuel over the truck towing a trailer. Not to mention that Penske is a bit more than $100 cheaper than U-haul. Total rental bill will be about $380 with taxes and when you loose the $100 in fuel for the trip down that makes it a rather reasonable deal or at least that's how I'm justifying it in my head.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Roadway is >< this close to going belly up, by a reputable source..

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All went smoothly for the move, other than they tried to give me a car hauler missing a lugnut. While I know 4 will hold it on I'm not taking chances in a vehicle that I'm unfamiliar with on a 500 mile trip.

The truck was a '08 E350 based rig with the 5.4 which I was rather surprised at how well it did considering. It would maintain 70 easily on flat land with a 16' truck towing my car on the trailer guessing the trailer rig was close to 4500#. Overpasses required advance though to hit the gas to attempt to maintain speed. Fuel economy was a surprising 8.5 running 70. The truck was governed at 75 or so the sticker said. Tow/Haul on the trans was nice for the 1-2 shift but the 2-3 shift it wanted to run it all the way up to 4500 rpm before it would shift even under moderate throttle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr